This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.8576 / 53°51'27"N
Longitude: -1.5839 / 1°35'2"W
OS Eastings: 427462
OS Northings: 440235
OS Grid: SE274402
Mapcode National: GBR KRCT.WW
Mapcode Global: WHC95.M9YJ
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 26 September 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1255610
English Heritage Legacy ID: 465832
Location: Leeds, LS16
Electoral Ward/Division: Adel and Wharfedale
Built-Up Area: Leeds
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Adel St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE24SE CHURCH LANE, Adel
714-1/2/466 (East side (off))
26/09/63 Church of St John the Baptist
Anglican church. 1150-1170, C14 and C16 alterations. West
gable and bellcote 1838-39 by RD Chantrell, roof restored by
RD Chantrell in 1843, restoration 1879. Coursed squared
gritstone, stone slate roofs.
PLAN: small Norman 2-cell church composed of nave and
lower-roofed chancel, bellcote over W end renewed 1839.
EXTERIOR: a small unmoulded priest's doorway in the chancel S
wall. In the chancel S wall a very fine gabled portal of
1150-55: the doorway is round-arched and has an unbroken
roll-moulding and 4 orders, beaked heads on the innermost,
rich chevron ornament to the 2nd and 4th and 2 roll-mouldings
to the 3rd. The beak-heads and chevrons of the 2 inner orders
are continued down the jambs below the carved capitals; the 2
outer orders have round shafts in the jambs, with carved
capitals and bases. In the gable a weathered relief sculpture,
Christ in Majesty with symbols including the Lamb with flag,
the cross, sun and moon as described in Revelations, Chapter
4. The board door with iron studs has a C13 bronze closing
ring of fine workmanship depicting a monster swallowing a man.
Fenestration: small narrow Norman round-headed windows, those
on E and W ends reconstructed; a flat-headed C14 Decorated
window in chancel, S side; 2 flat-arched Perpendicular windows
to nave, S side. Corbel-frieze with faces and beasts, similar
frieze with 2 diminishing tiers along W gable, one head at
apex. N side: corner and centre pilasters, 4 Norman windows,
roll moulding below, corner pilaster to chancel, carved masks
and figures to corbel table. Gable copings, cross finials.
Vestry attached by short passage to NW side with hollow
chamfered arched doorway and trefoil window on E side; vestry
has 3-light E window with reset stained glass, gable above has
moulded blocking course; on W side a tall external stack with
INTERIOR: 2 steps down into the church; fine chancel arch of
1160-70, 2 orders with chevron/zigzag, beak-head, chain of
rectangles; carved capitals with Baptism of Christ,
Crucifixion, centaur with bow, horseman with lance. At the W
end the font, octagonal and possibly original (found in the
graveyard in 1858), the carved oak canopy by Eric Gill, 1921,
depicting the Crucifixion, 6 of the Sacraments, and a
Christian arriving in heaven. The pulpit of carved oak has
panels carved in linenfold style, a plaque states that it was
presented by EW Beckett of Kirkstall Grange in memory of his
wife who died in 1891.
Stained glass by Henry Gyles of York to his friend Thomas
Kirk, in SW chancel c1706 and vestry (former E window) 1681.
(Anon.: Adel Parish Church, Guide Book, c1980; The Buildings
of England: Pevsner, N (revised by Radcliffe, E): Yorkshire
The West Riding: London: 1967-: 338).
Listing NGR: SE2746240237
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings