History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Red Hill

A Grade II Listed Building in Headingley, Leeds

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8211 / 53°49'15"N

Longitude: -1.5705 / 1°34'13"W

OS Eastings: 428370

OS Northings: 436177

OS Grid: SE283361

Mapcode National: GBR BCB.70

Mapcode Global: WHC9C.V790

Plus Code: 9C5WRCCH+CQ

Entry Name: Red Hill

Listing Date: 11 September 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1256049

English Heritage Legacy ID: 465308

Location: Leeds, LS6

County: Leeds

Electoral Ward/Division: Headingley

Built-Up Area: Leeds

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Headingley St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Leeds

Description


LEEDS

SE2836SW SHIRE OAK ROAD, Headingley
714-1/62/820 (North side (off))
No.33
Red Hill

II

House, now flats. 1900-01. By Francis Bedford and Sidney
Kitson. For Edward Audus Hirst. Gritstone (snecked) to ground
floor, tile-hung jettied upper floor with timber-framed
cross-wing and brick chimneys; steeply-pitched tile roof. In
Vernacular Revival style.
2 storeys with attic, 3 bays. Central timber porch under deep
jetty with spandrels carved with foliage and initials: 'EAH'
and 'EMN'; mullioned windows of 3 and 5 lights. First-floor
windows all gabled: a 6-light oriel window in the
timber-framed left bay, 4-light casements centre and right,
leaded panes. Deep eaves, tall brick stack forward of ridge
between bays 2 and 3 and at gable left.
INTERIOR: the front principal rooms retain original fine
details and craftsmanship including: entrance hall with
half-glazed door and screen to former stair hall with leaded
lights, fireplace with wooden surround framing 3 beaten copper
panels with Art Nouveau bosses and scrolls, deep frieze of
Tudor roses and leaves; front left: inglenook-style fireplace
in panelled recess with Classical surround, flanking fire
windows with leaded lights, benches and moulded architrave,
ceiling friezes of oak leaves, naturalistic flowers and
foliage; front right: fine inlaid panelling, fire surround,
fitted cupboards with leaded glass fronts, copper Art Nouveau
light switch and service bell plaques. The staircase removed
when the house divided into 6 flats.
'A good example of how the achievement of Norman Shaw and his
generation was diffused throughout the country, raising the
general standard of domestic architecture...' (Stamp and
Goulancourt, p.216). The architects were referred to in
Muthesius' 'Das Englische Haus' (1904) as 'a firm of very
promising young architects'.
(Kelly's Directory of Leeds: 1905-; Stamp, G & Goulancourt, A:
The English House 1860-1914: 1986-: 216).


Listing NGR: SE2837036177

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.