History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

9, Tower Place

A Grade II* Listed Building in Guildhall, York

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9551 / 53°57'18"N

Longitude: -1.0815 / 1°4'53"W

OS Eastings: 460369

OS Northings: 451390

OS Grid: SE603513

Mapcode National: GBR NQWP.NY

Mapcode Global: WHFC3.CV7B

Entry Name: 9, Tower Place

Listing Date: 14 June 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1256415

English Heritage Legacy ID: 464947

Location: York, YO1

County: York

Electoral Ward/Division: Guildhall

Built-Up Area: York

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: York All Saints, Pavement

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
York

Listing Text


YORK

SE6051SW TOWER PLACE
1112-1/21/1136 No.9
14/06/54

GV II*

Also known as: Davy Tower TOWER PLACE.
Defensive tower, converted to summerhouse, now house. Tower
c1250; converted to summerhouse c1730, extended c1830; further
extension in C20.
MATERIALS: tower base of magnesian limestone; raised and
extended in red brick in Flemish bond; C20 extension in red
and grey brick in Monk bond; porch and coved eaves cornice of
timber; slate roof, hipped towards river, with wrought-iron
corner scrolls and 2 brick stacks.
EXTERIOR: entrance front to Tower Place: 1-storey gable end.
Steps up to door of 6 raised and fielded panels with divided
overlight in plain porch, to left of extruded stack. River
front: basement and 1 storey, 2 windows; 1-bay extension to
left. Main wall has 12-pane sash to left and blind window
opening to right: both have painted moulded stone sill and
flat arch of gauged brick with fasciated keyblocks. Extension
bay is canted at the corner and has 2 x 4-pane casement
window. Park front: basement and 1 storey, 2 bays. To left,
offset buttress and musket loop to right. Above, windows are
16-pane sashes, detailed as on river front. Return wall to
right has cruciform loop. In the C14 and early C15, tower was
known as the Tower of the Friars Minor; by the end of C15,
Davy Tower. A defensive chain was customarily slung across the
river from Davy Tower to the tower opposite.
INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records its original summerhouse
fittings including a chimneypiece with pulvinated frieze,
window seats, a dado rail with sunk panelling above, and a
moulded and enriched cornice.
(An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York:
RCHME: The Defences: HMSO: 1972-: 158-9; City of York: RCHME:
The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 235-6).


Listing NGR: SE6036951390

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.