This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9512 / 53°57'4"N
Longitude: -1.0968 / 1°5'48"W
OS Eastings: 459372
OS Northings: 450948
OS Grid: SE593509
Mapcode National: GBR NQSR.BB
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.3YZ9
Entry Name: Ambassador Hotel
Listing Date: 21 April 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1256423
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464909
Location: York, YO24
Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Micklegate Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: York
SE5950NW THE MOUNT
1112-1/24/1090 (South East side)
21/04/83 Nos.123 AND 125
(Formerly Listed as:
Two houses, now hotel. 1833. Stucco with slate roofs.
EXTERIOR: No.123 is of 2 storeys plus attic and cellars and
No.125 is of 2 storeys plus cellars. Each has a symmetrical
3-bay facade, with a narrow C20 one-bay one-storey link.
The central bay of No.123 is recessed slightly. The outer bays
are flanked by giant pilasters and have single-storey timber
canted bay windows with cornices and with sashes divided into
horizontal-rectangular panes. The 1st floor windows are
similar and have architraves. The attic is lit by 3 gabled
dormers with casement windows, the outer ones now of UPVC. The
recessed centre contains a distyle porch, with fluted columns
in antis supporting an entablature. The cornice breaks
forwards on brackets at the centre to form a balcony, now
without railings. The inner doorway has a divided door, and
flanking lights with margin panes. The eaves are coved.
No.125 has single-storey sashed canted bay windows to its
outer bays, set on panels and with cornices. The 1st floor
windows are sashed, and the central bay projects slightly
under a narrow pediment. The porch has corner pilasters and a
cornice. The outer doorway has a semicircular head with
overlight, and panelled reveals. Timber cornice gutter.
At basement level C20 additions project forwards under a flat
roof which forms a terrace. C20 extensions to the left of
INTERIOR: not inspected.
No.125 is included in the list for the first time.
(An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York:
RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 127).
Listing NGR: SE5937250948
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings