This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9517 / 53°57'6"N
Longitude: -1.0961 / 1°5'45"W
OS Eastings: 459417
OS Northings: 451002
OS Grid: SE594510
Mapcode National: GBR NQSR.H5
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.4X9X
Entry Name: 117 and 119, the Mount
Listing Date: 21 April 1983
Last Amended: 14 March 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1256455
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464900
Location: York, YO24
Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Micklegate Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: York
SE5950NW THE MOUNT
1112-1/24/1084 (South East side)
21/04/83 Nos.117 AND 119
(Formerly Listed as:
(Formerly Listed as:
Two houses, now hotel. 1833/4, altered C20. White brick with
dressings of painted stone and exposed limestone. Slate roofs.
Tudor Revival style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys plus attic and basement. The windows are
mullioned and transomed with painted surrounds. No.119, at the
right, is symmetrical and of 3 bays. The central bay is
flanked by octagonal piers which rise as turrets, which are of
limestone and have worn carved panels and crockets. The outer
bays have canted bay windows on the ground floor, with
mullioned and transomed windows, rising above mullioned canted
cellar windows. On the 1st floor the outer bays have cross
windows and the central bay has an oriel with embattled
parapet. The attic is lit by 2 flat-roofed dormers. The
central Tudor-arched door surround is now glazed and the
external steps have been removed. On the 1st floor there is a
moulded string course at sill level, one which rises as hood
moulds over the windows, and one below the parapet, which
rises to form a gable over the central bay. To left and right
there are corbelled turrets with limestone caps. The gables
are coped and have chimneys with octagonal shafts: the
right-hand ones retain their pots. At the left there is a link
to No.117, with a slated roof behind an entrance with C20
doorway and steps and an enlarged painted surround.
No.117 is of 2 gabled bays, the left-hand one projecting
slightly and having a ground-floor canted mullioned and
transomed bay window above a mullioned canted cellar window.
The right-hand bay has a window of 3 lights with transom on
the ground floor. Both have cross windows on the 1st floor and
narrow chamfered attic windows in the gables.
INTERIORS: not inspected.
(An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York:
RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 127).
Listing NGR: SE5941751002
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings