History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Abbey Park Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Micklegate, York

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9534 / 53°57'12"N

Longitude: -1.0941 / 1°5'38"W

OS Eastings: 459545

OS Northings: 451194

OS Grid: SE595511

Mapcode National: GBR NQSQ.XK

Mapcode Global: WHFC3.5W8L

Entry Name: Abbey Park Hotel

Listing Date: 14 June 1954

Last Amended: 14 March 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1256447

English Heritage Legacy ID: 464887

Location: York, YO24

County: York

Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate

Built-Up Area: York

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Micklegate Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
York

Listing Text


YORK

SE5951SE THE MOUNT
1112-1/20/1074 (South East side)
14/06/54 Nos.77 AND 79
Abbey Park Hotel
(Formerly Listed as:
THE MOUNT
No.77
Abbey Park Hotel)

GV II

Two houses, now hotel. 1831/32 and designed by Peter Atkinson
for Alderman William Dunsley. Brick with painted stone
dressings and slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys plus an attic storey and cellars. The
facade to The Mount is of 3 bays and has a painted stone
plinth, a cornice below the 2 attic windows, and a gutter
cornice. The windows are glazing bar sashes with painted
lintels. The central window on the ground floor is a
restoration: an RCHM photograph shows a doorway in this
position. Chimney to right. Adjoining to the right is a second
former house, also part of the hotel. It is lower, of 3
storeys and 2 bays. The ground floor has C20 polished stone
cladding and a glazed entrance. The upper storeys have glazing
bar sashes with painted rusticated lintels with a leaf pattern
on their keystones. Further C20 additions to the right. The
left-hand return wall of No.77, facing Park Street, is similar
in detail to the 3 bays facing The Mount. It is of 4 bays,
plus a right-hand bay which is blank except for a ground-floor
window. The windows are glazing bar sashes, except for the 2
left-hand attic windows which are centre-pivoted. The 4th
window on the 2nd floor is a blind glazing bar sash. Only the
windows to the 3rd and 4th bays, above the wide entrance, have
painted stone or stucco lintels. This entrance has 2 engaged
Greek Doric columns in antis with fluted necking, a plain
frieze and cornice, and flanking lights. The glazed door is
C20.
Adjoining to the left is a 3-bay C20 extension in a similar
style.
INTERIOR: not inspected: RCHM record Italian marble fireplace
for the drawing room; black Kendal marble fireplace for the
dining room.
No.79 is included in the list for the first time.
(An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York:
RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 127).


Listing NGR: SE5954551194

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.