This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9581 / 53°57'29"N
Longitude: -1.0932 / 1°5'35"W
OS Eastings: 459597
OS Northings: 451712
OS Grid: SE595517
Mapcode National: GBR NQTN.3W
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.5SP1
Entry Name: Railway Station
Listing Date: 1 July 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1256554
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464767
Location: York, YO24
Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: York St Paul
Church of England Diocese: York
SE5951NE STATION ROAD
1112-1/15/1000 (West side)
01/07/68 Railway Station
Formerly known as: The New Station STATION PLACE.
Railway station. 1872-77: original platforms extended to north
and south, western platform and Tea Room added, Platform
Signal Box and bookshop constructed 1900-09; western platform
refurbished and new footbridge built 1938-39; damaged by bomb
in 1942, repaired 1947; new Signal Box 1951; all windscreens
except one replaced in 1972; major refurbishment in 1977.
Original architects were Thomas Prosser, Benjamin Burley and
MATERIALS: station and train shed of yellow Scarborough brick
in Flemish and English garden-wall bonds with moulded ashlar
plinth, plinth band and dressings; roof carried on
wrought-iron trusses supported on cast-iron columns. 1930s
platform buildings of colour-washed stucco; new Signal Box of
orange brick in stretcher bond, header bond on curved corners,
with artificial stone dressings: footbridge iron framed with
iron railings; Platform signal box and Tea Room of timber.
Roofs generally glazed, with some slate, and glazed
windscreens; extension platforms covered with corrugated steel
sheeting. Stacks are brick, some with moulded stone cornices.
PLAN: station consists of aisled train shed with former ticket
hall and concourse on eastern side, and portico further east:
to west, extension platform with service buildings and new
Signal Box built against train shed western wall.
EXTERIOR: portico is of 1 storey with clerestory and 9 bays
behind cantilevered glazed awning. Arcaded front is of keyed
segmental arches on pilaster piers with moulded stone imposts
and hoodmoulds. Centre bay is open; flanking bays closed by
balustrades of bulbous stone balusters and brick piers, the
upper part with glazed timber screens. Moulded eaves cornice
surmounted by balustraded parapet. Station clock on S-shaped
projecting bracket incorporating the arms of the North Eastern
Railway Co. to left of centre.
Former ticket hall front within portico: 1 storey and
clerestory; 12 bays, 4 centre bays breaking forward. 4
segment-arched openings in centre have pilaster jambs with
moulded stone plinth bands and imposts; spandrels at the head
are sunk panelled beneath clerestory lights in semicircular
keyed brick arches with stone hoodmoulds. Openings on each
side, some squat 6-pane sash windows, some altered to C20
doors, have stepped brick panels with segmental heads, some
glazed, in clerestory.
Train shed elevations: 1 storey and clerestory; blind arcades
of round-arched recesses between 3-stage buttresses with
moulded stone offsets: clerestory above plain stone band is
pierced in each bay by an oculus. Moulded stone eaves cornice,
badly decayed in places. At each end are massive square
terminal piers with moulded bracket cornices and cross
pedimented caps. On western side, New Signal Box is of 3
storeys, 13 bays. The main part is articulated in brick
pilasters each with oversize triple keyblock of artificial
stone at the head. Windows are metal framed top-opening or
Tea Room Square front: 2 storeys and attic; 6-bay quoined
front arranged 2:2:2; centre bays on ground floor project to
form 1-storey canted bay window, balustraded at first floor:
to left is lower 2-storey 2-bay block. Ground floor openings
to main part are arcaded in tall keyed round arches with
hoodmoulds between pilaster piers with moulded capitals, those
to bay window crocketed. Windows are recessed, of 2 lights, 5
panes high, with blind round heads, over moulded stone sills:
centre bay window is altered to makeshift door. All first
floor windows are segment-headed 2-light casements over
moulded stone sills and swagged stone aprons, set in cambered
arches with garlanded keyblocks. Moulded eaves cornice beneath
balustrade of bulbous stone balusters, brick piers and moulded
stone coping. Central attic flanked by volutes encloses
swagged arms of the NER. Block to left has recessed
round-headed sash windows on ground floor, cambered arched
sashes on first floor, all 4-paned.
Tea Rooms extending through train shed wall on both sides has
2-storey 4-bay spine block between 1-storey parallel ranges.
1-storey fronts have bowed and canted bay windows with square
latticed transomed casements incorporating good Art Nouveau
glass. Panelled parapet over bracketed eaves string. Bow
windows to Square front have domed caps surmounted by tall
Original train shed windscreen of tiered arcaded lights
survives at end of eastern aisle between Tea Rooms and station
INTERIOR: former ticket hall has roof of 7 hammer beam trusses
springing from corbel brackets and stiffened with ornate tie
rods. Segment arched opening with garlanded keyblock leads to
concourse, between segment-arched doorways with semicircular
fanlights. In clerestory over each arch are semicircular
panels of brick or stone with stone voussoirs, keyblocks and
Concourse enclosed on three sides by 2-storey ranges except
where bomb damaged. Central opening is segment-arched with
pilaster responds and moulded imposts. Canted corner bays have
doorways with pilasters jambs with foliate capitals beneath
semicircular brick arches set with stone voussoirs, and
hoodmoulds with volute keyblocks. Ground floor openings,
originally round headed 4-pane sash windows now mostly
altered, are round-arched and recessed and tied with moulded
impost band. Above moulded cornice, upper floor openings are
blind sunk panels in moulded surrounds across main range,
4-pane sashes beneath keyed cambered arches in side ranges.
North of central arch is a ceramic tiled map of the NE Railway
network in moulded tile frame.
Fourth side of concourse partly blocked by 2-storey Platform
Signal Box and bookshop. Bookshop has sliding shop doors on
concourse side. First floor glazed with 6-pane horizontal
sliding sashes over moulded sunk panels. Moulded bracketed
eaves cornice. On concourse side is a clock in pedimented
timber surround beneath voluted panel enclosing a roundel. On
platform side, massive clock on openwork S-shaped bracket
incorporating foliage, white roses and the City of York arms
projects over footbridge.
Train shed is aisled in arcades of segmental arches springing
from Composite columns also supporting transverse
segment-arched trusses, the outer ends of which are carried on
pilasters attached to outer walls: arch spandrels filled with
heraldry set in foliage trails incorporating the Yorkshire
rose. Inner side of walls arcaded as outside. Brackets
projecting from two columns and incorporating foliated NER
monogram now support television screens.
North and south extensions are roofed with braced trusses on
twin colonnades of slim Corinthian columns: canopies are
(Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York:
Edinburgh: 1980-: 246-7).
Listing NGR: SE5959751712
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings