This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9609 / 53°57'39"N
Longitude: -1.0784 / 1°4'42"W
OS Eastings: 460567
OS Northings: 452034
OS Grid: SE605520
Mapcode National: GBR NQXM.BW
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.DPQX
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew Evangelical Church
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Last Amended: 14 March 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1256792
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464550
Location: York, YO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Guildhall
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: York All Saints, Pavement
Church of England Diocese: York
SE6052SE ST ANDREWGATE
1112-1/14/933 (South East side)
14/06/54 CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
(Formerly Listed as:
St Andrew's Hall)
Formerly known as: Church of St Andrew ST ANDREWGATE.
Parish church, now non-denominational church. C15 nave with
early C19 extension on site of late C14 former chancel: C20
MATERIALS: reused Roman gritstone and magnesian limestone,
with brick blocking; rebuilt and patched with various brick
mostly in stretcher or random bond; pantile roof with inserted
half-hipped dormers on both sides of chancel/ extension.
PLAN: 4-bay nave and chancel; west bell turret.
EXTERIOR: former chancel on chamfered plinth. East end has
blocked doorway to south and two 12-pane windows with painted
stone sill. On north side, original window opening with
splayed reveals has inserted 16-pane sash. South side has C20
door and 2 windows. Nave has moulded plinth. On north side,
two square-headed windows beneath decayed hoodmoulds, of 2
cinquefoiled lights with mouchette tracery in the head, one
part original, one completely renewed: towards west end,
blocked doorway in chamfered 2-centred arch, blocked with
brick. Openings on south much altered; C20 windows and door
beneath timber lintel. West end has C20 cross window in
rebuilt gable, above blocked former window.
INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records original tie beams to
roof and remnants of timber-framed bell turret at west end.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Church of St Andrew was first mentioned in
1194. It was redundant by 1586, when the parish was united
with St Saviour's, and used for a variety of secular purposes
until late C20.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 10).
Listing NGR: SE6056752034
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings