This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9586 / 53°57'30"N
Longitude: -1.0796 / 1°4'46"W
OS Eastings: 460486
OS Northings: 451783
OS Grid: SE604517
Mapcode National: GBR NQXN.1P
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.DR3M
Entry Name: The Herbert House
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1256914
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464420
Location: York, YO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Guildhall
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: York All Saints, Pavement
Church of England Diocese: York
1112-1/28/857 (South East side)
14/06/54 Nos.12 AND 14
The Herbert House
Formerly known as: Sir Thomas Herbert's House PAVEMENT.
House, now shop and offices. Early C17 house with mid C17
extension linking with mid C16 house at rear; extension
enlarged during late C19 restoration; further restoration
including partial rebuilding, shopfront, and re-roofing of
rear house, in 1925. Early C17 house probably built for John
Jacques, Merchant, c1614.
MATERIALS: all parts timber-framed. Early C17 house has front
of white-washed plaster, rear rebuilt in re-used orange-red
brick in English garden-wall bond; pantile roof of two
parallel ranges, masked at rear by ramped-up brick parapet;
brick stack. Mid C17 extension rebuilt in pink-orange brick in
English garden-wall bond, with lead and pantile roofs. Mid C16
house has rebuilt ground floor of pink-orange brick in Flemish
bond, upper floors of white-washed plaster, and tiled roof.
EXTERIOR: early C17 house: 3 storeys and attics; 3-bay
twin-gabled front, with jettied first and second floors and
exposed framing. Shopfront has windows of three segment-headed
lights with transoms framed in plain mullions, and recessed
glazed door. At left end, ogee-arched door with original door
furniture, beneath divided overlight, gives access to upper
floors. Passage opening at right end leads to Lady Peckitt's
Yard. First floor windows are mullioned and transomed, of 4
and 5 lights, with small 2- and 3-light mullion windows at
each end: second floor and attic windows are mullioned, of 2
or 4 lights: all windows are diamond-lattice casements. Jetty
bressumers carry carved fascia boards; gables finished with
carved barge boards and restored or replacement spike finials
and drop pendants; roof valleys masked by renewed timber
panels carved with grapes and vines.
Rear: windows on first and second floors are replacements; in
attic gables, original openings survive, one blocked, one with
renewed window. Right return to Lady Peckitt's Yard: rebuilt
extension has door of 6 beaded panels with semicircular
fanlight in reset open-pedimented doorcase with fluted
half-column jambs and garlanded frieze blocks.
Mid C16 house: 3-storey front of 4 unequal bays, with jettied
upper floors and exposed framing. Ground floor has shallow bow
window with moulded cornice to left of paired shop windows of
5 arcaded lights beneath panelled friezes, all with small-pane
glazing. First and second floor windows are single or
multi-light casements as on Pavement front. Rear: first floor
jetty incorporated into side passage of adjacent Golden Fleece
public house (qv).
INTERIOR: coffered ceiling to through passage. Early C17
house, ground floor: transverse beams carried on cast-iron
columns with leaf capitals. First floor: chamfer-stopped
moulded beams and joists throughout. Replacement open string
staircase with turned balusters and heavy, ramped-up moulded
handrail on column newels rises to second floor. Front room
now subdivided by reset C17 panelling. Larger room lined
throughout with run-through panelling beneath fretwork frieze
and moulded cornice on carved consoles; panelled door in
fluted doorcase with angle roundels. Replacement fire surround
framed in tapered carved pilaster jambs and fretwork frieze:
massive tripartite overmantel of carved and jewelled panels
between squat Corinthian columns, and vine-carved frieze
incorporating the Herbert Arms. Roof: trusses carried on
Mid C16 house: first floor rear room has plaster-encased beams
decorated with pomegranates and foliage. Doorway with
4-centred head cut in wallplate leads to later building.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the house takes its name from associations
with Sir Thomas Herbert, friend and attendant of Charles I,
whose family acquired an earlier house on the site in 1557. In
1639, Charles I was entertained here by the Lord Mayor, Roger
Jaques, on which occasion he knighted Thomas Widdrington,
Recorder of York, and early historian of the City.
(Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York:
Edinburgh: 1980-: 190-91; City of York: RCHME: The Central
Area: HMSO: 1981-: 176).
Listing NGR: SE6048751780
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings