This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7422 / 51°44'32"N
Longitude: 0.6633 / 0°39'47"E
OS Eastings: 583969
OS Northings: 208192
OS Grid: TL839081
Mapcode National: GBR QLY.LJ5
Mapcode Global: VHJK5.GG0R
Entry Name: Beeleigh Steam Mill and Bridge over Tail Race
Listing Date: 24 September 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1257130
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464213
Location: Maldon, Maldon, Essex, CM9
Civil Parish: Maldon
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Maldon All Saints with St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL80NW ABBEY TURNING, Beeleigh
574-1/1/233 (North East side)
24/09/71 Beeleigh Steam Mill and bridge over
Steam mill, ruins of water mill and bridge. Early C19. The
steam mill is of a mixture of red and cream Gault brick with a
hipped slate roof with blue clay ridge and hip tiles.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with embellished elevations to NE and SE
towards Beeleigh Falls House (qv). The SW elevation is part of
Gault and part of red brick with a series of circular tie-bar
plates. A large semicircular-arched opening faces onto a
sunken external area, providing access to the engine which is
visible within. Door opening with segmental head and further
small openings now blocked or concealed by ivy.
The short NW elevation is of Gault brick with a central small
segmental-arched opening with cast-iron window of 24 small
panes. On the north corner is the base of a former chimney,
now truncated, which wraps around on to the NE elevation.
The NE elevation has 4 broad semicircular-arched recesses with
similar 24-pane iron windows to the lower storey.
The SE elevation is similar, but with cast-iron windows to
both storeys, and of 2 semicircular-arched recesses.
The remains of the water mill to the SW consist of a
rectangular enclosure of walling of varying height with some
Gault and some red brick. Some former door and window openings
survive and 2 large chambers for former breast-shot water
wheels and 2 barge docks for unloading flour and grain. To the
SE is a bridge now giving access to former mill house,
Beeleigh Falls (qv), with red brick parapets, stone copings
and 2 semicircular arches.
INTERIOR: the steam mill is divided into 2 compartments,
separated by a brick partition. The smaller north-western part
is open to full height and contains the complete iron,
double-acting compound steam engine of 1845, by Wendworth.
Alongside is an 'Elephant' boiler with 2 safety valves and
firebox. The ground-floor chamber in the main body of the
building contains an iron upright shaft with great spur wheel,
the driving machinery and a circular-plan iron husting.
Designed to house 5 pairs of stones, the emplacements and
upper ends of drive spindles remain on the upper floor.
The former watermill was a large 5-storeyed weatherboarded
mill with 12 pairs of stones and 2 water wheels, and was
destroyed by fire in 1879.
Listing NGR: TL8396908192
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings