This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9567 / 53°57'23"N
Longitude: -1.0895 / 1°5'22"W
OS Eastings: 459846
OS Northings: 451557
OS Grid: SE598515
Mapcode National: GBR NQTP.YD
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.7TG4
Entry Name: 85, 87 and 89, Micklegate
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1257323
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464026
Location: York, YO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Micklegate Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: York
1112-1/15/667 (South side)
14/06/54 Nos.85, 87 AND 89
Terrace of 3 tenements. c1500; wing added to rear of No.89 in
late C16-early C17; C18 wing to No.87; late C19 shopfronts.
Restored c1961. Probably built as rentals for Holy Trinity
Priory. Timber-framed with wall-tile infilling, largely
replaced by brick; front rendered and white-washed; rear wings
of red, and orange-red, brick in random bond. Tiled roof with
brick stacks. Each tenement 2 bays wide and 2 bays deep.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey 6-bay jettied front, first floor jetty at
left end supported on cast-iron Doric column. Shopfronts
inserted to right of upstairs access doors; that to No.85 has
glazed and panelled door and plate glass window beneath fascia
board between grooved brackets. Upstairs access doors of 6
raised and fielded panels, beneath divided overlights. Upper
floor windows are of 2 lights fitted between studs of each
bay, those on first floor 8-pane top-hung lights, on second
floor 6-pane casements. Jetty bressumers have attached
embattled mouldings reproducing original, defaced, mouldings.
Inverted bell-shaped rainwater head dated 1961 between Nos 85
and 87. Left and right returns: crown post roof trusses
exposed in gable ends. Against right gable end, re-used
inverted bell rainwater head dated 176?.
INTERIOR: in Nos 85 and 89, timber-frame with braced, jowled
posts, studding and offset spine beams, is largely complete
and detectable on all floors. On first floor of No.89, front
room has marble chimneypiece with moulded cornice shelf; in
rear wing, two rooms have painted stone fireplaces in moulded
timber surrounds, with plain friezes and moulded shelves. On
second floor of front range are two early doors, one of 3
panels, one of 2 panels on a butterfly hinge. On first and
second floors of front range, studding is exposed internally
in the gable wall. On ground floor of No.87, front room (now
shop) has detectable studding in rear wall, and coffered
ceiling with moulded transverse beam and moulded and offset
spine beams. Access to upper floors of No.87 not possible. On
the upper floors, RCHM record almost complete framing,
including boxed-in straight staircase from first to second
floor and fireplace with stone surround in rear room on first
(City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-:
Listing NGR: SE5984751555
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings