This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9569 / 53°57'24"N
Longitude: -1.0898 / 1°5'23"W
OS Eastings: 459825
OS Northings: 451581
OS Grid: SE598515
Mapcode National: GBR NQTP.V9
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.7SBY
Entry Name: 102 and 104, Micklegate
Listing Date: 19 August 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1257300
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464045
Location: York, YO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Micklegate Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: York
1112-1/15/677 (North side)
19/08/71 Nos.102 AND 104
House, now two shops. Late C17, refronted in mid C18;
subdivided 1812; later C19 alterations, and C20 shopfronts.
Front of orange mottled brick in Flemish bond, No.102 painted,
with modillion eaves cornice; slate roof with brick coped
gables to front range, rear wings tiled.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey 3-window front. Late C20 shopfront to
No.102. Shopfront to No.104 has panelled pilaster jambs and
plain fascia with moulded capping between paired consoles
crowned with segmental gablets. Glazed and panelled shop door
with overlight above fluted transom interrupted by scrolled
pedimented centre panel, flanked by half-canted plate glass
shop windows of three arched lights on colonnettes with
moulded capitals and bracketed spandrels. On first floor are
two 3-light canted bay windows with 4-pane centre sashes;
remaining windows are 4-pane sashes with flat arches of rubbed
brick, those to No.102 painted.
Rear: 3-storey centre bay flanked by gabled wings of 2 storeys
and attics. Blocked round-headed first floor window in centre
bay. Wing to right has 12-pane sash in gable end in blocking
of earlier window, of which flat arch and square hoodmould
survive. Attic window is 3-light casement in blocking of
earlier window, beneath flat arch and pedimented hood. Blocked
oeil-de-boeuf in gable end beneath tumbled brick coping.
Moulded first floor string course.
INTERIOR: of No.104. Ground floor: chamfer-stopped spine beam
exposed in original rear room: two quarter-round moulded beams
to centre bay. Open string staircase rises from ground to
second floor, having column on vase balusters, 2 to a tread,
and serpentine handrail: some balusters on second floor
landing are barley-sugar twists. First floor: doors of 8
fielded panels lead from landing. Larger front room has late
C19 fireplace. Elliptical arched opening on plain pilaster
jambs with moulded imposts gives access to small front room,
with full height fielded panelling, moulded cornice and
6-panel door. In original rear room the chamfer-stopped spine
beam survives, with 8-panel door and fielded panelled window
reveal. In smaller rear room is a massive C17 cornice. Second
floor: small area of C17 panelling on landing. In larger front
room is a plain fireplace with basket grate having fluted side
pieces and moulded cornice shelf. 3-panel plank door to back
room. Original floor boards survive in various rooms
Interior of No.102 not inspected. RCHM record C18 staircase
with closed string, square newels and closely set turned
balusters with square knops.
(City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-:
Listing NGR: SE5982551581
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings