This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9572 / 53°57'25"N
Longitude: -1.088 / 1°5'16"W
OS Eastings: 459943
OS Northings: 451620
OS Grid: SE599516
Mapcode National: GBR NQVP.86
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.8S5Q
Entry Name: 57 and 59, Micklegate
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1257340
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464002
Location: York, YO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Micklegate Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: York
1112-1/15/652 (South side)
14/06/54 Nos.57 AND 59
Town house. Dated 1783; ground floor restored 1946-47. Front
of orange-red brick in Flemish bond with stone bands, on stone
basement; doorcases, and dentil and modillion eaves cornice of
timber. Brick stacks to hipped roof of slate.
Town house plan, incorporating service passage.
EXTERIOR: basement and three storeys; 3-window front. At each
end is a doorcase with panelled pilaster jambs, moulded frieze
and dentilled cornice on volute consoles, the left one with
wheatear drop below: doors of six raised and fielded panels
beneath patterned fanlights recessed in round-arched milled
architraves. Doorcase entablature continues across ground
floor as plain band above C20 replica Venetian window with
small pane glazing. First and second floor windows are 12-pane
sashes with flat arches of gauged brick, over sill band on
first floor, and with stone sills on second floor. Raised
first floor band. At right end of eaves cornice, inverted bell
shaped rainwater head over fallpipe with fleurs-de-lys clamps.
Rear: segmental arches to first and second floor windows.
Brick dentil eaves band. Dated rainwater head with initials
INTERIOR: ground floor: stone-flagged entrance and service
passages. Two round arches on sunk panelled pilasters and
reveals with milled necking and moulded imposts separate
entrance passage from stairhall. Reconstructed staircase rises
from ground to second floor, having cut string, slender turned
balusters, two to a tread, and moulded handrail, ramped-up and
wreathed at foot around column newel on shaped curtail step.
Inserted elliptical arch leads to front room, which has
enriched modillion cornice, and original fireplace with sunk
panel jambs and moulded dentil cornice shelf, enriched with
milling, frieze moulded with festoons and arabesques, and
cast-iron grate. Rear room has two inserted elliptical arches
and dentilled cornice.
First floor: front room has moulded skirting, dado rail with
milled enrichment, and enriched moulded cornice. Doors and
windows have moulded and milled decoration to their
architraves, and window reveals have sunk panels with
composition foliar decoration. Fireplace has fluted pilaster
jambs, milled architrave, frieze moulded with garlands and
figures in applied composition, and milled and moulded cornice
shelf. In rear room is fireplace with sunk pilaster jambs
enriched with lion mask and pendant mouldings, possibly of
applied composition, beaded and fluted frieze and moulded
Second floor: stairwell has dentilled cornice beneath coved
ceiling and top light. Plain continuous round arches lead to
front and back rooms.
(City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-:
Listing NGR: SE5994651615
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings