This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9571 / 53°57'25"N
Longitude: -1.0883 / 1°5'17"W
OS Eastings: 459923
OS Northings: 451610
OS Grid: SE599516
Mapcode National: GBR NQVP.67
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.8S1S
Entry Name: 67, Micklegate
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1257308
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464011
Location: York, YO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Micklegate Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: York
1112-1/15/657 (South side)
House. Mid C16, refronted and altered in early C18; early C19
parapet and extension; C20 shopfront.
MATERIALS: original building timber-framed; front of brick,
some in stretcher bond, some Flemish bond, now painted; stone
coped parapet to pantile roof with brick stacks. Originally
L-shaped on plan, with front range of 2 unequal bays, 2-bays
deep, and short rear wing at right rear; rear wing extended
and angle between wing and front range infilled.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey 3-window front. Shopfront of reeded
pilasters and cornice with glazed door recessed between
half-canted plate glass windows. 12-pane sash windows on first
floor; two windows only on second floor, 16-pane sash to right
and 12-pane sash to left: 12-pane sashes have exposed box
frames and heavy glazing bars. All windows have flat arches
and painted stone sills. 3-course raised band to second floor.
At right end of parapet, inverted bell shaped rainwater head
dated 1763, with fall pipe on rosette clamps. Rear: wing of 2
storeys and attic.
INTERIOR: part of early C18 front staircase survives on ground
floor, with close string, turned balusters and flat, moulded
handrail. In rear extension, small round-headed window to back
staircase survives. In first floor front room, cross beam and
two spine beams are exposed; original floor joists, underdrawn
in front room, are visible beyond C20 partition. Part of
original studded rear wall visible on landing. In rear
extension, two rooms have duck-nest firegrates, one in painted
stone fireplace with moulded architrave, plain frieze and
moulded mantelshelf. Lower flight of back staircase to attic
removed but dado rail moulded with bead and reel motif
survives; upper flight partly boarded-in.
Second floor of front range divided by studded partition wall
probably retaining original infilling beneath cross beam, and
incorporating board door adjacent to front wall. In studded
wall at rear of larger room, corner posts with jowled heads
are visible, and blocked 2-light window. Spine beams are
exposed in both rooms, and smaller room has exposed ceiling
joists. In larger room, fireplace with cambered brick arch
exposed behind later chimneypiece with reeded jambs, plain
frieze and moulded shelf, contains late C18 oven and grate.
Embedded in rear wall of front staircase, half a kerb
principal roof truss is visible: second half visible in attic
of rear wing behind chimney stack. In rear extension, upper
flight of back staircase with stick balusters, square newels
and shaped handrail is retained. Rear wing and extension
reroofed with collar trusses.
(City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-:
Listing NGR: SE5992351607
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings