This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9599 / 53°57'35"N
Longitude: -1.0873 / 1°5'14"W
OS Eastings: 459984
OS Northings: 451924
OS Grid: SE599519
Mapcode National: GBR NQVN.D6
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.8QHL
Entry Name: East Lodge of Lendal Bridge lendal Bridge and Attached Tollhouses
Listing Date: 1 July 1968
Last Amended: 14 March 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1257475
English Heritage Legacy ID: 463826
Location: York, YO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Guildhall
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: York All Saints, North Street
Church of England Diocese: York
1112-1/15/9 Lendal Bridge and attached
(Formerly Listed as:
Includes: East Lodge of Lendal Bridge MUSEUM STREET.
Bridge, abutments and approach ramps; flight of steps attached
to east abutment on upstream side; tollhouse attached to each
end of bridge on downstream side; balustraded garden railings
attached to west bank tollhouse. 1861-63; strengthened 1910.
By Thomas Page; stonework by George Milburn.
MATERIALS: cast-iron bridge; abutment and approach ramp
parapets of ashlar; stone steps on cast-iron frame. Tollhouses
rusticated sandstone with ashlar quoins and dressings; Welsh
and stone slate roofs with conjoined stone stacks; cast-iron
EXTERIOR: single-span bridge between abutments pierced on each
bank by carriage arches. Arch is elliptical with traceried
spandrels and parapet pierced by quatrefoils incorporating
armorial shields over band of heraldic badges. In centre of
parapet a branched gas lamp standard of clustered octagonal
columns with ogee caps supporting tapered lanterns with
pennant finials and angel terminal. On west bank, chamfered
elliptical carriage arch pierces abutment; on east bank,
carriage arch is closed by board doors. Parapet to abutments
and approaches has sloped roll-moulded coping, embattled above
west bank arch, and octagonal piers with coved moulded
cornices and shallow stepped octagonal caps. Flight of steps
on east bank has framework of twisted columns on tall
chamfered square section pedestals, arcaded balustrade of
cusped pointed arches on octagonal colonnettes tied by band of
pierced quatrefoils, and moulded handrail.
Tollhouses: 1 storey, 2 bays at bridge level, with 3-stage
octagonal tower rising at rear from river bank level. East
tollhouse is gabled, the west one embattled; towers are
machicolated and embattled with conjoined stacks. Bridge front
of each tollhouse has an ogee-arched doorway beneath hoodmould
on shield stops, and square-headed mullioned window of two
trefoil-headed lights recessed in quoined surround. On river
side, each has 4-light oriel window with half-hexagonal roof.
Windows are diamond lattice glazed, and mullions and openings
are hollow-chamfered. West bank tollhouse has arcaded
balustrade railings, similar to those on east bank steps, to
small side garden.
INTERIOR: tollhouses not inspected.
(Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York:
Edinburgh: 1980-: 160).
Listing NGR: SE5998451924
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings