This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0684 / 51°4'6"N
Longitude: -1.7948 / 1°47'41"W
OS Eastings: 414472
OS Northings: 129911
OS Grid: SU144299
Mapcode National: GBR 517.WKR
Mapcode Global: FRA 7649.6LD
Plus Code: 9C3W3694+83
Entry Name: John Halle's Hall (Now Forming Entrance to the Odeon Cinema)
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1258229
English Heritage Legacy ID: 444613
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Salisbury St Thomas and St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
1594 (South Side)
John Halle's Hall
(now forming entrance to
The Odeon Cinema)
SU 1429 NW 3/99 28.2.52.
C15 with 1881 imitation timber front, elaborate framework, 3 storeys gabled,
ornate carved bargeboards and finial. 8 light lattice casements to both floors,
pargetting to side panels, carved beam ends to overhangs. Cinema entrance
on ground floor.
The remains of the Hall consist of an outer lobby 2 storeys high (the present
Cinema entrance lobby) of timber framed structure restored, with an open gallery
at 1st floor level and heavily beamed ceiling over 1st floor, this leads into
the Hall which is in a fairly original state, of 2 storeys with open timber
roof with elaborate cusped bracing pattern to purlins supported on moulded
pointed arched beams.
The east wall has original tall stone mullioned windows with modern lead lights
with one smaller similar window on west wall. From this hall 2 doors lead
into a lower inner room with a heavy moulded beamed ceiling.
The exterior of the east front is of ashlar stone with 2 moulded stone mullioned
windows with pointed arched cusped heads to light set in rectangular frame
of coved moulding, with small arched door to left hand of similar design,
with small arched door to left hand of similar design, with trefoil spandrel
ornament. The west side of the Hall is of brick and flint and one small stone
mullioned window to left hand with pointed cusped heads to lights. Old tile
roof to Hall.
John Halle's Hall and Nos 17 & 19 form a group.
Listing NGR: SU1447229911
Other nearby listed buildings