This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0679 / 51°4'4"N
Longitude: -1.7946 / 1°47'40"W
OS Eastings: 414486
OS Northings: 129865
OS Grid: SU144298
Mapcode National: GBR 517.WM5
Mapcode Global: FRA 7649.6PW
Plus Code: 9C3W3694+55
Entry Name: Odeon Cinema (To Rear of John Halle's Hall)
Listing Date: 12 October 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1243555
English Heritage Legacy ID: 447517
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Salisbury St Thomas and St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
1. NEW CANAL
1594 Odeon Cinema (to rear of
John Halle's Hall)
SU 1429 NW 3/99A
CINEMA. 1930-31, by W E Trent, assisted by F F Tulley. Red brick external walls,
corrugated asbestos roof on steel trusses to auditorium, asphalt elsewhere.
Rectangular auditorium, with projection rooms rising to north and fly tower to
south. Entered via Hall of John Halle (qv) and 28 Catherine Street (qv). Interior
decoration in lavish tudor gothic style inspired by the need to enter via the C15 hall.
The foyer has oak panelling and doorcasts, and vine scroll ornament in fibrous plaster
to the downstanding ceiling beams. The auditorium ceiling is of fibrous plaster, the
ribs and beams grained to imitate wood; there are painted scenes flanked by gothic
arcading to bulkheads at two changes in level. The walls are plastered, lined out to
frames. Flanking the 'tudor' proscenium arch are large openings with 'iron' (actually
plaster) grilles, flanked by niches and surmounting doors set in elaborate gothic
beamed ceiling below decorated like that in foyer. The cafe, above the foyer, is
panelled in oak, with false timber framing above and a beamed fibrous plaster ceiling.
The inner dining room (contrived between the floor of the circle and ceiling of stalls
below, has a beamed ceiling with sloping soffits and tudor-arched alcoves at either end
fitted with oak settles and fibrous plaster fireplaces - and painted overmantle signed
F 'Barnes". Throughout public areas, doors and doorcases are of oak, with foliage
decoration in the spandrels of the heads. Many original fittings survive, including
'medieval' chandeliers. In 1972-3 the stalls seats were removed, a wall built on the
line of the circle balcony, and the space behind formed into two subsidiary auditoria,
but with minimal alteration to the original fabric. As the programme produced for the
opening on 7.9.1931 states, 'a more fitting environment for the romance portrayal on the
screen would be difficult to find.'
Listing NGR: SU1448629865
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings