This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4079 / 51°24'28"N
Longitude: 0.866 / 0°51'57"E
OS Eastings: 599421
OS Northings: 171551
OS Grid: TQ994715
Mapcode National: GBR RSL.PRK
Mapcode Global: VHKJ8.YWP2
Plus Code: 9F32CV58+5C
Entry Name: The Ruins of Shurland Hall or Castle
Listing Date: 14 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1258505
English Heritage Legacy ID: 445085
Location: Eastchurch, Swale, Kent, ME12
Civil Parish: Eastchurch
Built-Up Area: Eastchurch
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
The Ruins of Shurland Hall
TQ 97 SE 13/144 14.5.52.
Built by Sir Thomas Cheney during the reign of Henry VIII partly of materials
said to have been brought from Chilham Castle on the mainland of Kent, and
then consisting of several courtyards. The portion that remains faces west.
2 storeys. Red brick with a diaper pattern of grey headers on a stone base.
6 windows, hung sashes with the remains of glazing bars but all the glass missing.
The 2 centre window bays are flanked by octagonal turrets of 3 storeys each,
which have stone quoins and castellated parapets. Within these at the north
end is a tall and wide 4-centred stone doorway with dripstone, carved spandrels
and an iron-studded door. 1 small ground floor window to the south of the
main doorway is a former doorway. On each side of the turrets are 2 windows
on the 1st floor and 1 window on the ground floor. Brick buttress at the south
end. Projection at the north end with stone quoins, but now half collapsed.
Part of the wing behind it, which is of stone, still remains. The east front
has 4 casement windows of 2 lights, each with 4-centred heads, stone mullions
and dripstones. Wide 4-centred stone doorway. To the east is a courtyard
enclosed with the remains of a building to ground floor height, of red brick
on the north side and of stone on the east side. Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn
were entertained here on 7 October 1532, so the house was probably complete
before that date.
Listing NGR: TR0030470678
Other nearby listed buildings