History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dowrich House Including Adjoining Cob Garden Wall to Rubble Garden Wall to North East

A Grade II Listed Building in Sandford, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8332 / 50°49'59"N

Longitude: -3.6677 / 3°40'3"W

OS Eastings: 282657

OS Northings: 105067

OS Grid: SS826050

Mapcode National: GBR L8.WW45

Mapcode Global: FRA 366W.WG9

Entry Name: Dowrich House Including Adjoining Cob Garden Wall to Rubble Garden Wall to North East

Listing Date: 20 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1258520

English Heritage Legacy ID: 445113

Location: Sandford, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Sandford

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Sandford St Swithin

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Kennerleigh

Listing Text

SS 80 NW SANDFORD

1/178 Dowrich House including
adjoining cob garden wall to
rubble garden wall to north-east

II


Manor house, now farmhouse. Probably mid C16, some C17 work, extensively
refurbished and partly rebuilt in early C19, refronted circa 1870-80 and front
altered again in early C20. Plastered volcanic rubble with exposed stone front and
Ham stone dressings; volcanic stone stacks most with C19 chimney shafts; slate
roof. Originally a 3-room-and-through-passage house facing south-east with parlour
cross-wing projecting forward at left (south-west) end. Service end rebuilt in
early C19 with new wing projecting forward including porch to front passage door.
Large lateral stack projecting to rear of hall, lateral parlour stack, and stack
between kitchen and right (north-eastern) front wing. 2 storeys. Irregular front
of large Jacobean-style, Ham stone, ovolo-moulded mullion-and-upper-transom windows
with volcanic hoodmoulds and containing large-pane sashes; 1 window to left wing,
2 to hall and 2 to right wing which includes Ham stone arch to porch. Gable ends
of wings have kneelers, coping and ball finials and 2 similar false gables with
small vases over hall. Left (south-west) side of parlour wing has late C19
projecting parapet with moulded coping resting on a series of shaped Ham stone
corbels with segmental arches between. The plastered right (north-east) side of
wing has early C19 arched sash window with Gothick glazing bars. Projecting main
block with rounded corner also includes arched windows but these are 2-light
casements, the first floor one with arched heads. Small C19 square bell cote on
apex of kitchen roof with ogee lead roof and shaped vallances. Rear (north-west)
elevation includes a large early C19 arch-headed window to kitchen with slender
Gothick tracery and a geometric pattern of leaded glass. There are smaller
examples to the first floor. Those to left have iron casements and Gothick pattern
of leaded glass and those to right have scalloped treatment to arches and include
wooden casements with arch-headed lights. At right end a mid C16 oak 5-light
window has flat arched heads, moulded mullions, stancheons and saddle bars and C19
leaded glass in geometric patterns. Hall stack has massive mid C16 divided chimney
shaft of volcanic ashlar with moulded cap suggesting that hall was floored from the
beginning.
Interior shows mainly C19 fittings including an elaborate wooden chimney piece in
hall carved in Jacobean style with free-standing Corinthian columns enriched with
vines and grotesques on carved pedestals; and wooden cornice around hall includes
heraldic achievements of the Dowrich family and its connections. C16 and C17
features are probably hidden. C16 volcanic ashlar fireplace with hollow-chamfered
surround in parlour. Parlour roof of 4 bays on C16 side-pegged jointed cruck
trusses with butt purlins and windbraces. Hall roof of 4 C17 A-frame trusses with
dovetail lap-jointed collars. Service and front wing have C19 king post trusses.
The volcanic ashlar arched doorways with moulded surrounds at either end of through
passage may be mid C16 but appear earlier and may have been introduced in early
C19. The high garden walls adjoining either side, cob on rubble footings with
pantile and brick tops to left (south-west) and rubble to right (north-east) are
included for group value.
An early photograph shows stucco front with parapets and arched windows with
Gothick glazing bars; ogee heads to ground floor. A late C19 photograph shows a
naked stone front with present mullion-and-upper-transom windows but shaped
bargeboards to gables. Dowrich House was house of Dowrich family from 1200-1717
(Devon SMR).


Listing NGR: SS8265705067

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.