This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9867 / 50°59'11"N
Longitude: -3.8989 / 3°53'56"W
OS Eastings: 266814
OS Northings: 122523
OS Grid: SS668225
Mapcode National: GBR KY.L442
Mapcode Global: FRA 26QH.NW9
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1258740
English Heritage Legacy ID: 445597
Location: Satterleigh and Warkleigh, North Devon, Devon, EX37
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Satterleigh and Warkleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Warkleigh St John
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 62 SE SATTERLEIGH AND SATTERLEIGH
4/194 Church of St Peter
Parish church. Principally early C15, but may incorporate earlier fabric, interior
remodelled in C18, chancel restored 1852. South side of nave and south porch
painted and rendered, otherwise unrendered stone rubble, chancel walls roughly
coursed with ashlar quoins and dressings. Weatherboarded bell-cote.
Small parish church comprising nave with bellcote at west end, south porch and
C19 fenestration with straight-headed window of 3 trefoil headed lights to right of
porch. Pointed arched windows of 2 trefoil headed lights to each side of chancel,
and to east and west ends.
South porch has virtually semi-circular arched doorway with hollow-moulded surround
with C19 timber gate. Plain ceiled barrel roof. Fine C15 timber inner doorway,
ogee-headed with shallow hollow and ogee moulded surround in straight-headed
similarly moulded surround. Original ledged door of 2 wide planks with strap
hinges, old lock and handle. External wall monuments to south side of nave to
Robert Hatch d. 1699 to left of porch (recorded as being inside the Church in 1844)
and to right of porch to Grace Webber d.1801 and John Webber d.1823 by Manning and
to William Melhuish Esq. d.1770. Below east window, small stone with triangulated
head to Thomas Collins d.1752.
Interior. Plain ceiled waggon roofs to nave and chancel, that to nave with 3
moulded ribs with carved bosses to the ridge, and ornately carved ceilure of 12
panels with moulded ribs and diagonal struts with carved bosses at the
Chancel. Nowy-headed commandment boards with moulded timber surrounds to each side
of east window. C19 altar rails and small altar table. Patterned tiled floor.
Nave. Principally C19 or early C20 nave seating with decorative carved bench ends,
but some C16 carved bench ends survive towards west end on south side of nave.
Tympanum over site of rood inscribed probably in early C19 with the Creed and Lords
Prayer, the sides filled with scroll-work bearing verses. Hat-pegs survive at
intervals on each side of nave and chancel. Probably early C18 pulpit with panelled
faceted drum with wooden tester over with moulded cornice, and desk to north side
incorporating turned candlestick. On north side of nave is a painted C18 cartouche
with the opening 2 verses of Psalm 95. Painted Royal Arms of 1726 over south door.
Perpendicular-style font, octagonal, with quatrefoil panels. Stained glass in east
window to James Gould Esq and wife, both died 1857. Wall monument to chancel south
side to Henry Byre Esq. d.1821 and wife, with heraldic crest in oval medallion to
Satterleigh Church is remarkable for its diminutive scale, its bell-cote, and the
richness of its interior fittings, including C15 ceilure, C16 bench ends, C18
pulpit, tester and tympanum and painted text and modest C19 restoration.
Listing NGR: SS6681422523
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings