This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9885 / 50°59'18"N
Longitude: -3.9358 / 3°56'8"W
OS Eastings: 264232
OS Northings: 122799
OS Grid: SS642227
Mapcode National: GBR KX.L0R4
Mapcode Global: FRA 26NH.LHH
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1258818
English Heritage Legacy ID: 445600
Location: Satterleigh and Warkleigh, North Devon, Devon, EX37
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Satterleigh and Warkleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Warkleigh St John
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 62 SW SATTERLEIGH WARKLEIGH
3/197 Church of st.John
Parish church. Probably C13 fabric to north wall of nave and chancel, remodelled
and enlarged with addition of south aisle in early C15, west tower late C15/early
C16. Chancel rebuilt 1850, nave roof renewed 1867, and general restoration of 1869.
Tower restored 1883. Unrendered stone rubble with ashlar dressings, tower of
ashlar. Slate roofs with coped parapets to gable ends.
Plan: Nave, chancel, west tower, south aisle and south porch. Fine west tower of 3
stages with diangonal buttresses, embattled parapet and crocketed pinnacles
diagonally braced. Internal stair turret to north-west corner. Straight-headed
bell-openings to each face of 2 4-centred arched lights with louvres and hoodmoulds
single 4-centred arched light to south side, middle stage with relieving arch. C19
Perpendicular style 3 light pointed arched west window with hoodmould above
Perpendicular virtually semi-circular arched west doorway with hollow-ogee moulded
surround and large rams horn stops.
South aisle has C19 Perpendicular style fenestration with pointed arched 2-light
windows to west end and to left of porch, and pointed arched 3-light windows to
right, two to south side, and to east end of south aisle and chancel. Straight-
headed single light window to each side of chancel and two 2-light pointed arched
windows each to north side of chancel and nave, those to nave have human head
corbels. South porch largely rebuilt in C19 with hollow-ogee moulded surround to
outer doorway and C15 inner doorway with double ogee and sunk chamfered moulded
surround with original framed and ledged studded plank door with old lock, latch and
Weathered sundial between two windows to right of porch and 4-centred arched priests
doorway at right end. Blocked doorway between two windows to north side of chancel.
4 external wall memorials below south aisle east end window to Elizabeth Snow (d.
1752), John Hill (d. 1792) and Laurence How (d. 1752) and Robert Howe (d. 1758) all
with shaped heads. Slate wall memorials below chancel east end window to William
Hill (d. 1828) and Mary Hill (d. 1827), both by Manning. Large buttress to east end
by north side of nave.
Interior: South aisle and chancel chapel arcade of 4 bays, the piers of Pevsner B
type with capitals only to the main shaft. The chancel bay is wider than the others
and has a double arch with a cusped headed squint through the west pier and an image
bracket between the mouldings of the eastern pier. Wide 4-centred arched chancel
arch with Pevsner 'A' type mouldings.
C19 ceiled wagon roofs to nave and chancel with moulded ribs and large carved bosses
at the intersections with the purlins. Crenellated wall plate to chancel. South
aisle has C15 ceiled wagon roof with moulded wall plate and carved bosses at the
intersections of the moulded ribs and purlins.
Patterned C19 tiled floors throughout. C19 nave seating. Stone reredos a memorial
to Frances Elizabeth Thorold (d.1904), 2 bays flanking 4 raised bays with open
tracery filled with mosaic panels to sides and geometrical patterned tiles to centre
bays. C19 altar rails with trefoil headed open traceried lights. Tower screen
composed of re-used chancel screen of 5 bays each bay of 2 lights divided by
elaborate turned engaged colonnettes to the base and Renaissance foilage and profile
heads in medallions above.
The unique Warkleigh Pyx (See Baring Gould: Transactions of the Exeter Diocesan
Architectural Society 1892) under repair at time of survey.
Stained glass: chancel east window to John and Mary Mortimer 1892. South aisle east
window by Heaton Butler and Bayne 1897 to Preston and Emily Karslake. Tower window
to James Gould 1852.
Listing NGR: SS6423222799
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings