History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade I Listed Building in Yeovil, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.0213 / 51°1'16"N

Longitude: -2.537 / 2°32'13"W

OS Eastings: 362433

OS Northings: 124799

OS Grid: ST624247

Mapcode National: GBR MT.HT8Q

Mapcode Global: FRA 56KF.5FC

Plus Code: 9C3V2FC7+G6

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 24 March 1961

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1259115

English Heritage Legacy ID: 445809

Location: South Cadbury and Sutton Montis, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: South Cadbury and Sutton Montis

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
South Cadbury

Listing Text

Church of the Holy Trinity
Anglican parish church. Saxon origins; surviving work of C12 and all subseqent periods. Cary stone roughly cut and
squared, Doulting stone dressings; chancel roof has plain clay tiles with bands of fish-scale, nave has stone slates,
both between stepped coped gables. Two cell plan of 2-bay chancel and 3-bay nave, with low west tower, and north-west
vestry. Chancel C12 and late C13, restored 1862: chamfered plinth, pairs corner and bay buttresses, all with offset,
with headstop kneeler stones to gable coping: east window 3-light Geometric tracery under arched label with headstops,
and below and to sides, set into wall, 3 C18 memorial plaques in keystoned architraved surrounds to members of Barton
family (who provided rectors from 1573 to 1878 without break); extending from east buttresses a railed area with C18
wrot iron railings having spear-point tips and 3 cast-iron finials: on north side a 2-light C13 window, just post-plate
tracery, under arched label with headstops, and wall lean to vestry with dated quoinstone of 1847, with east window to
match north chancel window: on south side two similar windows, with indications of blocked doorway under westernmost;
on centre buttress a sundial. Nave largely rebuilt 1805: buttresses with with offsets each end: on south side two
3-light windows, to left of portico a plain triple lancet, to right 3 ogee-arched lights with carved spandrils, both
without labels; the portico presumably of 1805, Tuscan columns and pilasters on cube block bases carrying full plain
entablature with pediment and pitched lead-covered roof: plain doorway with Gothic style door installed to commemorate
Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee 1897: north side has two Y-tracery windows without labels, with lean-to C20 heating
chamber below. Tower low and squat, C12 origins, restored 1904; one stage only, with chamfered plinth, no buttress,
simple upper string course below castellated parapet with corner obelisk pinnacles, C18 style: moulded pointed arched
west door without label; above it a 3-light C15 traceried window of irregular geometry set in hollow-chamfered recess:
above this a pair of slim lancet windows without label, matched by similar pairs on north and south sides, the latter
off-centre, and on east side simple lancet to either side of pitched roof: square plan south east corner stair turret
with lean-to stone roof with slit windows on east side. Inside, work of variety of periods. Chancel C13 in character:
19 roof and arch into organ chamber vestry: windows have fully-moulded rere-arches with attached bell cap shafts and
arched labels on bell-capital corbels; partly restored C13 piscina in south-east corner. Chancel arch of early C12,
with quintuple chevron mould under shaved-off label, plain chamfered impost blocks, and on nave side attached shafts
one with fluted cap, the other with acanthus type foliage, and to south of arch a large squint: roof has molded timber
rib and plaster panel ceiling with decorative bosses, possibly 1805; plain pointed arch with chamfered impost blocks
into tower, late C12/early C13. Fittings in chancel C19, and nave pews installed 1912; fine early C17 timber pulpit
with matching panelling, under C18 tester, all relocated from other side of chancel arch; font C15, octagonal with
quatrefoil panels, moulded waterbowl and panelled shaft. Memorials include engraved brass in chancel to Jacobi Dupont,
Lord of the Manor, died 1590; in nave, on north wall, tablet in architraved surround with semi-circular panel over to
Ann Dymock, died 1735, also hatchment board dated 1805. Fragments of early medieval stained glass in west window.
Photographs of church before 1912 show original site of pulpit, sexton's desk, and west end gallery, also featured in a
cartoon of the church choir/band dated 1827. Tower has 3 bells of 1764, 1420 (Bristol) and 1636. One of few churches in
this area not reconstructed in C14 or C15. (Holy Trinity Church of Sutton Montis, leaflet in church, no date; Pevsner,
Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, l958).

Listing NGR: ST6243324799

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.