History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Trobridge House Including Adjoining Cottage and Two Rear Cob Walls to West and North

A Grade II* Listed Building in Crediton Hamlets, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7683 / 50°46'5"N

Longitude: -3.653 / 3°39'10"W

OS Eastings: 283530

OS Northings: 97828

OS Grid: SX835978

Mapcode National: GBR QN.9WQT

Mapcode Global: FRA 3771.W4H

Entry Name: Trobridge House Including Adjoining Cottage and Two Rear Cob Walls to West and North

Listing Date: 26 August 1965

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1259890

English Heritage Legacy ID: 443603

Location: Crediton Hamlets, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Crediton Hamlets

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Crediton

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Crediton

Listing Text

SX 89 NW CREDITON HAMLETS

7/92 Trobridge House including
26.8.65 adjoining cottage and two rear
cob walls to west and north

II*


Country house, adjoining cottage and cob walls to rear. Late C16-early C17
origins, rebuilt for Trobridge family circa 1700, refurbished in early and late C18 and again in late C19. Main parts and front are brick on squared volcanic stone footings; some volcanic rubble; brick and volcanic stone stacks topped with C19 brick; slate roofs. Main block facing east originally had 2 room, double depth plan with central cross passage and stairs off to right but front extended to right in late C19. End fireplaces to original front rooms and kitchen stack to left rear. Service stair in kitchen. Parallel roofs with connecting cross-roof to left. C18 service building added to left rear and another service block at right angles attached to right rear corner, now a cottage. Front is 2 storeys with attics, rear is 3 storeys with attics. Brick 7-window front; the flat-roofed 2 window section to right was added in late C19 in same style as previously symmetrical 5 window front with central door. C19 6 panel door with panelled reveals, a round headed fanlight with radial glazing bars and timber doorcase with pilasters and segmental pediment. The fanlight and pediment were built circa 1960 after C19 porch collapsed. Window above has segmental head and Gibbs surround and contains late C18 sash with pointed pattern of broad glazing bars. The other windows have segmental heads and plastered lintels with projecting fluted keystones, and contain early 12 pane sashes with broad glazing bars (chamfered externally, ovolo-moulded internally). Moulded Beer stone plinth. Wooden eaves cornice of circa 1960 replacing plaster original and rebuilt brick parapet with Beer stone coping. Roof half hipped each side over original house and right end includes early C19 arched attic window with 2 pointed lights. North side has 2 window front of 12 pane sashes to C19 extension on left (to front), the recessed central section is circa 1700 half gabled brick end of main rear block containing blocked segmental arch, high mid C19 sash with glazing bars and margin panes to stairs, and plat band at eaves level, and to right the long rear wall of 2 storey cottage, its roof hipped each end. Cottage built in mid-late C19 brick but left end has section of rubble masonry from earlier small single storey block with a stack. Cottage faces south onto rear courtyard with 2 window front of C20 wooden casements with glazing bars and central door. Mainly brick rear elevation of main house has irregular 2 window front of C19 and C20 wooden casements and shows evidence of various alterations. Central door has small side light with pointed pattern of leaded glass panes. First floor windows have brick relieving arches over. South side has C18 brick exention to left (rear) with monopitch roof carrying down line of main roof and a 2 window. Front of C19 and C20 wooden casements under segmental heads. To right rubble end wall of main house includes massive projecting stack of volcanic ashlar, probably late C16-early C17. Good interior. Entrance hall has circa 1700 wainscotting and plaster cornice. Room to left lined with reused early C17 oak panelling above dado level, C19 chimney piece flanked by early C18 fluted Doric pilasters with triglyph entablature and dentil cornice; ceiling with large enriched doubled rib oval surrounded by ribbed panels. Similar plain rib ceiling in room right of passage with richly moulded modillion cornice and another C19 chimney piece. Panelled round arch of circa 1700 to elegant open well stair of early-mid C18; open string with shaped tread end brackets, turned newel posts and close-set balusters, moulded flat handrail and fielded panel wainscotting interrupted by fluted pilasters. Elaborate plaster cornice with egg and dart enrichment to stairwell. Another panelled round-headed arch of circa 1700 to first floor corridor. Corridor and main front chambers have contemporary plaster cornices and wainscotting made up from reused early C17 oak panelling. Rear block has several early C17 features including rebated-ovolo moulded oak door frames with semi urn stops, one containing contemporary 8 panel door. Roofs on A-frame trusses with pegged lap jointed collars. Partly plastered cob wall extending northwards from rear end of cottage has rubble footings and pitched slate roof. It rises to accommodate large 4 centred arch to stable yard which includes large square sectioned granite gate post with necred obelisk caps and is flanked by rubble and brick buttresses. Another similar cob garden wall extends westward from rear of C18 service block and includes an arched doorway and granite drinking trough in an elliptical headed recess. Both cob walls are included for group value. C18 changes may be associated with changes of ownership. In 1720 acquired by Strode family from Plympton and in 1759 by the
Yarde family.

Listing NGR: SX8353097828

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.