History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Harrytown Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Romiley, Stockport

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4127 / 53°24'45"N

Longitude: -2.1051 / 2°6'18"W

OS Eastings: 393113

OS Northings: 390661

OS Grid: SJ931906

Mapcode National: GBR FXRZ.1C

Mapcode Global: WHB9X.MHS3

Entry Name: Harrytown Hall

Listing Date: 20 April 1977

Last Amended: 19 July 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1259967

English Heritage Legacy ID: 442045

Location: Stockport, SK6

County: Stockport

Electoral Ward/Division: Bredbury Green and Romiley

Built-Up Area: Romiley

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Bredbury St Mark

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Bredbury

Listing Text

SJ 99 SW WERNETH HARRYTOWN
(East side)
558/1/207 Romiley
Harrytown Hall

20.04.1977 II


House, now flats. Dated 1671, with C18 and C19 alterations and additions, Coursed squared sandstone with quoined corners and ashlar dressings, with red brick, laid to Flemish bond to C18 wing. Slated and clay-tiled roof coverings, coped gables with ball finials and brick and stone stacks, some with stone chimney pots. Early plan H-shaped, and of 2 storeys with attics, with a central 2-storeyed porch and with 3 storeyed symmetrical crosswings, that to the right extended in 1776 and again in 1864, at the rear. Front with projecting plinth and continuous storey bands to first and second floors. Porch with chamfered door opening below 2 light double chamfered mullioned window, and similar single light attic opening. Flanking openings to main range are 4-light cavetto-moulded full height C19 mullion and transom windows, inserted when the floor was removed within to create an open hall. Left-hand wing has 2,3-light windows, the upper one with mullions missing., and a single light ground floor opening. Attached to the right hand side of the gable, and extending leftwards at right angles to it, a lower T-plan C19 addition with circular quatrefoil window to a central advanced gable. The advanced C18 brick wing to the right has a 2-storeyed canted bay with blocked windows and dentilled eaves cornice to the gable end. The side walls have sash windows, some C20 replacements. C19 additions of different phases are picturesquely composed, and include a pyramidally-roofed oriel, square and canted bay windows with traceried lights, dormer gables, bold ashlar corbels to a first floor bay, and various enrichments typical; of the High Victorian Gothic. INTERIOR: Much internal alteration as a result of several phases of remodelling, but the house retains a fine C19 fire surround to the open hall which is now galleried.

Listing NGR: SJ9311390661

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.