History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Giles

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lockton, North Yorkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2987 / 54°17'55"N

Longitude: -0.7059 / 0°42'21"W

OS Eastings: 484319

OS Northings: 490002

OS Grid: SE843900

Mapcode National: GBR RLHQ.ZT

Mapcode Global: WHGBW.464W

Plus Code: 9C6X77XV+FM

Entry Name: Church of Saint Giles

Listing Date: 10 November 1953

Last Amended: 5 February 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1260741

English Heritage Legacy ID: 439663

Location: Lockton, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO18

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Lockton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Lockton St Giles

Church of England Diocese: York

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in
Levisham

Description


This List Entry was subjected to a Minor Enhancement on 7/9/2017

LOCKTON VILLAGE STREET
SE 89 SW
(north side)
3/70 Church of Saint Giles
(Previously listed as
10.11.53 'Church of St Mary').

GV II*

Church. C13 nave and chancel; C15 tower and buttress; early C19 porch and south doorway; re-roofed mid C19; C20 restoration. Coursed rubble sandstone;stone-flagged nave and tower roofs; pantiled chancel and porch roofs. West tower; 3-bay nave, south porch and north vestry; chancel. 2-stage, embattled tower with diagonal buttresses has 2-light louvred bell openings with foiled square heads to all faces except the north. West window of two trefoil-headed lights within a pointed arch. The tower has a saddleback roof. Gabled porch contains a rebuilt round-arched chamfered doorway with a harr-hung 6-panel door dated 1809 on the strap hinge. C20 window to west in early C19 milled surround with tripartite wedge lintel.To the east is an inserted C20 2-light trefoil-headed window in a square-headed surround. Similar single light window to east of chancel, with pointed priest's door to centre and splayed C13 lancet to west. The east window has 3 lights with mullions and panel tracery in a pointed surround.On the north side are two C20 windows, and one offset stepped buttress to west end of nave. Interior: the C15 pointed chancel arch is low and narrow, of one chamfered order. Tower arch of same date is recessed in four orders at the back, which die into the side walls. The tower has a medieval saddleback roof constructed as an east-west ribbed tunnel vault covered with interlocking stone flags.  C13 tub font on cylindrical foot. Fine late C17 octagonal pulpit with floral carved panels. C17 altar rails with turned balusters. Vicar's pew re-uses C17 pewing with flower carved panel at one end. Attractive stained glass of 1925 in east window.


Listing NGR: SE8431990002

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.