This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8562 / 50°51'22"N
Longitude: -3.9435 / 3°56'36"W
OS Eastings: 263302
OS Northings: 108093
OS Grid: SS633080
Mapcode National: GBR KW.VBT5
Mapcode Global: FRA 26MT.X3S
Entry Name: Parsonage Court
Listing Date: 11 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1260909
English Heritage Legacy ID: 439172
Location: Winkleigh, Torridge, Devon, EX19
Civil Parish: Winkleigh
Built-Up Area: Winkleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Winkleigh All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
WINKLEIGH QUEEN STREET (north side)
11/184 Parsonage Court
House formerly parsonage. C17 origins extended in C18 and C19 with internal
alterations. Cob and rubble walls mainly rendered, exposed rubble to ground floor
of left-hand side. flipped thatch roof. Brick stacks at either end and one axial
stack. Large rubble stack with brick shaft lateral to right-hand rear wing.
Plan: originally probably 2-room plan, both heated by end fireplaces. Extended by
1 room at the left-hand end in the C18 with rear stair projection added. In C19
outshuts were built along the rear wall and a wash-house added in a 1 storey wing
behind the right-hand end. A granary was built set back from the left-hand end of
the house in the C18 or early C19 and in circa 1900 this was converted to domestic
use and at the same time the house was thoroughly remodelled internally and a wing
added behind its left-hand end as a separate cottage, possibly servant's
A further service range enclosing the courtyard at the rear was built either at this
stage or during the second half of the C19.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 4-window front of early - mid C20 3-light
casements. The left-hand end of the house projects slightly. To its right is C19
or early C20 panelled and part-glazed door behind elaborate Edwardian wooden lattice
porch. C20 double part-glazed door at right-hand end. Set back from left-hand end
is former granary with large early C20 bay window on 1st floor against left-hand end
wall. Wing extends to the rear with carriageway going beneath it to courtyard.
Interior: most of the internal features date from the remodelling of circa 1900 but
one original fireplace survives with chamfered and stopped wooden lintel. This
house forms an attractive group with its thatched farm buildings and occupies an
important position adjoining the churchyard.
Listing NGR: SS6330308091
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings