This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4674 / 51°28'2"N
Longitude: -0.3293 / 0°19'45"W
OS Eastings: 516147
OS Northings: 175588
OS Grid: TQ161755
Mapcode National: GBR 6B.CN7
Mapcode Global: VHGR2.7CSZ
Entry Name: Garvin House
Listing Date: 15 June 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1261018
English Heritage Legacy ID: 438728
Location: Hounslow, London, TW7
Electoral Ward/Division: Isleworth
Built-Up Area: Hounslow
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: All Saints Isleworth
Church of England Diocese: London
787/24/369 TWICKENHAM ROAD
158 AND 160
House. Circa 1700 with early C19 addition to north and some C19 refenestration. Brown brick with red brick dresings, cement rendered to rear and hipped slate roof. Three storeys; 5 windows. Double-hung sashes in architraves with flat arches. Second floor windows are 12-pane sashes with wide glazing bars, first and second floors have taller narrower windows with eight large panes. Dentilled eaves cornice and brick bands between floors. Wooden door surround of Roman Doric pilasters and entablature with guttae and triglyphs. Eight fielded panel door. Blue plaque to Vincent Van Gogh who lived here in 1876. Rear elvation similar but with central doorcase with tall rectangular fanlight and four panelled door. Two storey lower early C19 addition to north with 12-pane sash and cambered headed doorcase.
INTERIOR: Original part has fine early C18 well staircase with two turned and one twisted baluster to each tread, scrolled tread ends, column newel posts and dado panels. Ground floor has south rear room with moulded cornice, C18 panelling and mid C19 marble fireplace and north rear room with similar cornice and panelling but with moulded dado rail, shutters and windowseats. First floor has panelled lobby at head of main staircase and rear through room stretching the full width with moulded cornice, full-height panelling and C19 fireplaces with firegrates. Second floor rear room has C19 plank panelling. C18 two and six panelled doors.
HISTORY: Vincent Van Gogh taught here in 1876 when it was a preparatory school and is thought to have lodged in a small second floor bedroom.
[Pevsner "Buildings of England. London 3: North West" 1991 p426.]
Listing NGR: TQ1614775588
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings