This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0656 / 51°3'56"N
Longitude: -1.7994 / 1°47'57"W
OS Eastings: 414153
OS Northings: 129600
OS Grid: SU141296
Mapcode National: GBR 51F.1X3
Mapcode Global: FRA 7639.JT3
Plus Code: 9C3W3682+66
Entry Name: The North Canonry and the Gatehouse
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1261322
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319048
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12/01/2016
SU 1429 NW
No 60, The North Canonry and The Gatehouse
(Formerly listed as No 60 (The North Canonry) and Coach House)
There is now no No 61. Flint and Chilmark stone house of C13 origin. Largely
rebuilt in C16 and C17. Restored by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, C19. Not set
back as other houses. A picturesque unsymmetrical front with a rectangular
2-storey projecting central gabled bay with small octagonal angle buttresses
topped with ogee shaped finials, this bay has a 14-light mullioned and transomed
leaded casement on each floor and a small single attic louvre over, the whole
bay of ashlar. The RH portion of building has a triple gabled upper part overhanging
first floor windows with a plastered cove. Old tile roof. 3 C16 4-light
mullioned and transomed windows with drip moulds and corner sheilds with initials
right hand for Richard Hill resident from 1672-95 and modern lead lights,
on 1st floor. Central oriel window under 5 arched lights, probably C19.
Small 2-light basement window under oriel and a 3-light 4-centred arched casement
to right hand. Corner buttress. A tall arched coach entry passes through
building to right hand of projecting bay, with a small doorway between the
archway and bay.
To right hand of house small C17 double coach house with hipped roof, and
pair of flat arched doorways with panelled double doors.
To left hand of bay a plain C19 extension stuccoed with 4 windows.
The garden is famous for its central walk to the river ending in a small terrace
parallel with the river.
Interior: beneath the right hand wing is a C13 undercroft with short round
pier and round abacus, vaults do not survive. To the rear in the part with
polygonal buttresses a blocked 2 centred arch. Principal room in this part
on 1st floor with mid C17 carved wood overmantel.
All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.
Listing NGR: SU1415129590
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings