This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0497 / 51°2'58"N
Longitude: -4.0636 / 4°3'49"W
OS Eastings: 255447
OS Northings: 129839
OS Grid: SS554298
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.G4CV
Mapcode Global: FRA 26CB.YGC
Plus Code: 9C3Q2WXP+VG
Entry Name: Primrose Cottage
Listing Date: 25 February 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1261613
English Heritage Legacy ID: 437068
Location: Tawstock, North Devon, Devon, EX31
Civil Parish: Tawstock
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Tawstock St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 52 NE
4/88 Primrose Cottage
Cottage. Probably early C17, extended in 1681 with C19 alterations. Rendered stone
rubble and cob. Asbestos slate roof, hipped to left end of main range, half-hipped
to front wing. Rendered lateral rear hall stack enclosed in 2 storey rear wing.
Main range consists of hall only, with probably the through-passage and lower end
rebuilt as lean-to in C19 at left end. Stairs probably originally sited to rear of
hall, the turret being extended, possibly again in C19 into a 2 storey rear service
wing, and the stairs repositioned at the right end of the hall. As the right end of
the main range is built into a steep bank, the probable parlour or inner room (now
an entrance hall) was added as a wing to the front right end of the hall, the 1681
date to the plasterwork ceiling of the chamber over being a reasonable indication of
when this addition was made.
2 storeys. Scattered, mainly C19 fenestration. Two 2-light casements to front of
main range. 6 panes per light above 2 light casement 8 panes per light. Plank door
to left hand side wall of the front wing. Hornless sash with glazing bars and
original glass to left end of lean-to, and 3 light casement to hall window beside
Interior Ovolo-moulded ceiling beam and bressumer to hall. Herringbone slatework
to rear of hearth to hall fireplace. C17 chamfered door surrounds, partially cased
in, from hall to probable through-passage and to rear wing. Chamfered scroll-
stopped door surround at head of original staircase, moulded plaster cornice to
chamber over parlour with central foliated roundel and R on right-hand coving.
W 1681 L
Single C17 truss over hall with cranked lap-jointed collar and formerly with 2 tiers
of threaded purlins. Common rafter over parlour. Roof replaced in C20 over rear
service wing. No sign of smoke-blackening.
Listing NGR: SS5544729839
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings