History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

78 and 80, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Needham Market, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1548 / 52°9'17"N

Longitude: 1.0512 / 1°3'4"E

OS Eastings: 608820

OS Northings: 255109

OS Grid: TM088551

Mapcode National: GBR TLD.W0L

Mapcode Global: VHLBC.53KH

Entry Name: 78 and 80, High Street

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1261671

English Heritage Legacy ID: 436949

Location: Needham Market, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Needham Market

Built-Up Area: Needham Market

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Needham Market with Badley St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Coddenham

Listing Text

NEEDHAM MARKET HIGH STREET (EAST)
TM 0855

3/117 Nos. 78 and 80

9.12.55

- II

Two houses, built C15 as a 3-cell open hall house. Alterations of C16 and
C19. 2 storeys. 5 windows. Timber-framed and pebble-dashed. Plaintiled
roofs with rear chimneys of red brick. C19 small-pane sashes. No.78 has a
pair of late C19 shop windows with large panes, and No.80 an earlier C19
square bay shop window with flat leaded roof. No.78 has a C19 4-panelled door
(the upper pair glazed), and No.80 a plank door possibly of C17, adapted to a
stable-type door. No.78 comprises a formerly-open hall with a storeyed end
cell to right. No.80 contains another storeyed cell. Some widely-spaced
studwork exposed in No.80 with convex arched wind-bracing. Complete coupled-
rafter roof with smoke-blackening above the hall. A rear wing of 3 bays was
added in mid C16 to No.80 with crown post roof, the posts square and plank-
braced 2 ways. On the left hand gable, now facing into the roofspace of the
adjacent later C18 building, is an oval cartouche in raised plasterwork
bearing the date 1712 and initials T.F.C. The border is embedded with
fragments of coloured glass.


Listing NGR: TM0882055109

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.