History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

93, High Street

A Grade II* Listed Building in Needham Market, Suffolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1546 / 52°9'16"N

Longitude: 1.0506 / 1°3'2"E

OS Eastings: 608782

OS Northings: 255092

OS Grid: TM087550

Mapcode National: GBR TLD.VVF

Mapcode Global: VHLBC.538L

Entry Name: 93, High Street

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1253661

English Heritage Legacy ID: 436923

Location: Needham Market, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Needham Market

Built-Up Area: Needham Market

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Needham Market with Badley St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Coddenham

Listing Text

NEEDHAM MARKET HIGH STREET (WEST)
TM 0855

3/91 No.93

9.12.55

- II*

House. Circa 1600 with early C18 remodelling. Gault brick, with dressings,
block quoins and band at 1st floor all in red brick, encasing a timber-framed
core. Plaintiled roof with slating at the eaves; C19 flat-roofed sash-window
dormers. An internal end chimney of red brick. 2 storeys and attics. 5
windows. Sashes with flat arches of gauged brick, flush frames and small-pane
sashes of late C18 or early C19. The window over the entrance is a dummy; it
has ogee carving to the soffit of its flat arch. Prominent early C18 entrance
doorway; a heavily moulded broken pediment has a stool within it, formerly
containing a bust. Fretted console brackets above sunk pilasters. A
bolection-moulded architrave, and door with 6 fielded panels. Oblong fanlight
with bullseye glass. In a rear wing is a fine well staircase of c.1700 with
moulded handrails, and balusters partly of barley sugar form. (c.p. staircase
at No.10 High Street). A parlour has full early C18 panelling with large sunk
panels and deep moulded cornice. Other rooms have good contemporary panelled
doors and fireplaces. A small rear wing has ovolo-moulded beams of c.1600,
and another has fragmentary late-mediaeval framing. This house was the
Vicarage for the nearby parish of Battisford in C18 and C19.


Listing NGR: TM0878255092

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.