History in Structure

Pyewell Farmhouse, Including Adjoining Granary and Stables at Left End

A Grade II Listed Building in Horwood, Lovacott and Newton Tracey, Devon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.0375 / 51°2'15"N

Longitude: -4.1371 / 4°8'13"W

OS Eastings: 250261

OS Northings: 128638

OS Grid: SS502286

Mapcode National: GBR KM.GXDG

Mapcode Global: FRA 267C.L36

Plus Code: 9C3Q2VQ7+25

Entry Name: Pyewell Farmhouse, Including Adjoining Granary and Stables at Left End

Listing Date: 29 May 1986

Last Amended: 18 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1261776

English Heritage Legacy ID: 436725

ID on this website: 101261776

Location: Horwood, North Devon, EX39

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Horwood, Lovacott and Newton Tracey

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Fremington St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Tagged with: Agricultural structure

Find accommodation in


SS 52 NW
4/11 Pyewell Farmhouse, including
- adjoining granary and stables at
left end (formerly listed under
the parish of Fremington)

- II

Farmhouse with granary and stables attached. Farmhouse early C16, remodelled
probably in Cl7 and again circa 1710. Stables and granary added probably in late
C18/early C19. Rendered stone rubble and cob. Slate roofs with gabled ends.
Farmhouse has rendered axial stack heating inner room, stack at right gable end
heating lower end, and tall stone rubble lateral hall stack with tapered cap and
Through-passage former open hall house plan, consisting originally of hall and
lower end, the solid cob partition between hall and inner room rising to the apex
of the roof suggesting latter was an early C18 addition, when a dairy was also
added beyond the inner room. Stables and granary also added at this upper end.
2 storeys. Farmhouse has 5-window range. C20 fenestration. 2-light casements,
except for one 3-light casement at lower end. Slate canopy to through-passage
doorway. External stone steps to granary plank door with loft door over plank door
to left and double plank door to right.
Interior: A single smoke-blackened raised cruck truss survives over the hall with
trenched purlins, and though the 2 trusses with lap-jointed collars over the lower
end appear to have been replaced possibly in early C18, it is possible this end was
always ceiled, with large scroll stops to the single ceiling beam. The hall
ceiling beam and bressumers have decorative foliated stops with chamfered fireplace
lintel. There is no access to roofspace over upper end, but the height of the
ceiling and feet of the trusses with part of moulded plasterwork cornice surviving
at each end suggests this end may have been added in 1710, the date over the
doorway to dairy, now concealed and doorway blocked. Stair turret to rear of the
parlour has dog-leg staircase with bobbin-turned balusters and square newels with
clasping barley sugar balusters at the corners. 6 panelled door to doorway at head
of stairs.

Listing NGR: SS5026128638

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.