This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4125 / 51°24'45"N
Longitude: -1.9625 / 1°57'44"W
OS Eastings: 402707
OS Northings: 168166
OS Grid: SU027681
Mapcode National: GBR 3VM.8NT
Mapcode Global: VHB42.XRWJ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 31 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1261809
English Heritage Legacy ID: 436603
Location: Calne Without, Wiltshire, SN11
Civil Parish: Calne Without
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Calstone Wellington St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 06 NW CALNE WITHOUT CALSTONE WELLINGTON
6/33 Church of St. Mary
Anglican parish church, C15 restored 1885 by E. Christian. Squared
rubble stone, stone slate roofs, coped gables and cross finials.
West tower, nave with central north porch and corresponding south
vestry, added 1885, and chancel. Two-stage tower with moulded
plinth, diagonal buttresses to front, 3-light Perpendicular style
west window with hoodmould carried around tower sides as
dripcourse, bell-stage above buttresses with dripcourses above and
below and plain parapet. Small 2-light flat-head bell-openings
with hoodmoulds. Small single light under west opening. Three-
window nave with buttresses each end and 2 Perpendicular style
flat-headed 3-light windows each side, flanking porch to north and
vestry to south. Moulded plinth. North porch is ashlar with
moulded plinth, coped gable and pointed north doorway. Original
arch-braced collar trusses. Low Tudor-arched moulded doorway
within with hoodmould and oak plank door. Small statue niche over.
A similar south door is within 1885 vestry. Porch walls are
covered in C17 and C18 graffiti. Affixed to outside north wall of
nave, wall-plaque to R. Rogers died 1789. Chancel has side
buttresses and one 2-light and one 3-light flat-headed window with
hoodmould each side. Segmental-pointed 3-light east window with
hoodmould. Little altered interior with original segmental-pointed
boarded wagon roof with moulded ribs, carved bosses and 2 moulded
tie-beams. Moulded wall-plate. Moulded tower and chancel arches.
Evidence of rood stair and loft by pulpit on north side. Chancel
roof 1885 to match nave roof. Aumbries and piscina in chancel
walls. C18 altar rails. Early C20 oak reredos and 1885 oak altar
table. East window stained glass 1889. Some C15 fragments in
south window. On chancel north wall memorial to M. Heath died
1780, on south wall memorial to H. Baily died 1783. Stalls, pews
and pulpit 1885. In nave, over chancel arch painted Royal Arms of
1740. Black stone floor slab to Michell family, first date 1637.
Gadrooned stone font c1740.
(A.E.W. Marsh, A. History of the Borough and Town of Calne, 1903,
Listing NGR: SU0270768166
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings