History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Georges Hospital

A Grade II Listed Building in Semington, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.3416 / 51°20'29"N

Longitude: -2.1544 / 2°9'15"W

OS Eastings: 389342

OS Northings: 160292

OS Grid: ST893602

Mapcode National: GBR 1SH.VHS

Mapcode Global: VH96X.LJXW

Entry Name: St Georges Hospital

Listing Date: 31 August 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1262030

English Heritage Legacy ID: 436078

Location: Semington, Wiltshire, BA14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Semington

Built-Up Area: Semington

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Semington

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

The following building shall be added-

ST 86 SE
(south side)
4/206 St George's Hospital

Work house, now hospital for the mentally, handicapped. 1836-38 for
Melksham Union, by H.E. Kendall. Limestone ashlar front, dressed
limestone to rear ranges, Welsh slate roofs with brick stacks.
Classical front range with four rear ranges arranged in a cross.
Three-storey, 9-window front. Central three bays break forward
with pediment, central 6-panelled door with pediment on corbels,
aluminium windows replacing sashes with keystone and plain
architrave either side and three windows to side bays. First floor
has nine windows with keystones, second floor has nine with
corbelled sills and no keys, corbelled eaves and pediment. Single-
storey flanking wings with aluminium windows. Rear of main range
has aluminium windows. Three-storey wing attached to centre rear
of main range and running back to octagonal 3-storey block at axis
of cross; 3-storey, 9-bay ranges run parallel to front range and a
2-storey 9-bay range continues to rear, shorter 2-storey or single-
storey wings attached to ends of main ranges. All rear ranges have
sashes or fixed windows with glazing bars, cast iron rainwater
Interior altered, but retains some original joinery, staircases.
Built as a workhouse under the 1835 Poor Law Act for the Melksham
Workhouse Union; original layout unaltered - front range contained
boys' and girls' schoolrooms, board room in centre part, rear wings
and yards for accommodation of men and women in separate blocks,
kitchen and dining areas in central wing to rear. Single-storey
buildings contained workshops stables and low building on east side
contained cells for vagrants.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; plans in

Listing NGR: ST8934260292

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.