This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5163 / 51°30'58"N
Longitude: -0.1017 / 0°6'6"W
OS Eastings: 531813
OS Northings: 181417
OS Grid: TQ318814
Mapcode National: GBR PB.9M
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.642Y
Plus Code: 9C3XGV8X+G8
Entry Name: The Viaduct Public House
Listing Date: 27 April 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1262465
English Heritage Legacy ID: 434923
Location: Farringdon, City of London, London, EC1A
County: City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Farringdon Within
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Sepulchre Holborn
Church of England Diocese: London
8/502 No 126 (The Viaduct
Public House. 1874-5; interior remodelled 1898-1900 by Arthur Dixon. Granite to
ground floor; upper floor of gault brick with painted stone dressings; slate
mansard roof; brick end stacks with moulded stone cornices. Curved corner site.
Italianate style. 4-storeys; 6-window range with additional bay to ground floor.
Ground floor articulated by grey and red granite piers with festooned Ionic
capitals to red granite frieze with moulded grey cornices: three doorways with
half-glazed double door set in recessed lobbies with bracketed semicircular arched arches to outer bays, all having relief carving in Flemish Renaissance style with Medallion portraits to spandrels of outer arches; 3-light plate-glass windows with similar relief craving to mullions and transoms. Plate-glass sashes to upper-floor windows set in raised architraves: relief-carved friezes and bracketed cornices to first-floor windows pedimental second-floor windows, and relief-carved frieze over third-floor windows divided by pilasters with foliate capitals; dentilled cornice; moulded cornices to dormer windows. Interior: good ground-floor bar interior, quadrant-shaped, with many original fittings, including cut and etched glass panels to fine Jacobethan-style counter and semicircular arched hood set in front of rear doorway with relief-carved panels; arcaded panelling to bar. Marbled wood piers to enriched plaster frieze with cherub heads, shell-coved cornice and strapwork ceiling. Wall to right has tall mirrors alternating with three fine paintings of Pre-Raphaelite style women by Hal, 1898-1900, all set in cream, green and orange marble and alabaster architraves. Included for its fine pub interior, particularly the exceptional paintings.
Listing NGR: TQ3181081421
Other nearby listed buildings