History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel End Congregational Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Hartshill, Warwickshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5373 / 52°32'14"N

Longitude: -1.5227 / 1°31'21"W

OS Eastings: 432469

OS Northings: 293380

OS Grid: SP324933

Mapcode National: GBR 6KF.ZT8

Mapcode Global: VHBWC.KHC7

Entry Name: Chapel End Congregational Church

Listing Date: 23 June 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1262600

English Heritage Legacy ID: 434629

Location: Hartshill, North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, CV10

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire

Civil Parish: Hartshill

Built-Up Area: Nuneaton

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Hartshill Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Atherstone

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:-

HARTSHILL
COLESHILL ROAD, Chapel
SP39SW End(North side)
1728-0/5/10004 Chapel End Congregational
Church
II
Congregational Chapel. Dated 1840; Sunday school added 1853. English bond red brick
with a stuccoed front. Slate roof with gabled ends and brick dentil eaves cornice. PLAN:
Rectangular auditorium with entrance at the south front under the gallery. The gallery was
extended on the east and west sides in 1853 when a large Sunday school was built across the
north end. Classical style. EXTERIOR: Single storey. 3-bay south front with a large broken
pediment containing a roundel with a clock face and giant rusticated pilasters with paterae
on the capitals. Central round arch doorway with panelled double doors, wreath in
semi-circular fanlight, paterae in spandrels and shallow canopy on enriched consoles;
moulded round-headed panel above with painted inscription. Tall flanking windows with
similarly moulded round-headed architraves with moulded cills. 3 tall round-headed windows
on either side. All windows have later frames. Across the back the large 1853 2-storey
Sunday school with multi-pane windows with segmental arches and later outshut on north
side. INTERIOR: Gallery on three sides on thin iron posts, with panelled front; the side
galleries added in 1853 have balusters set in the panels. Panelled dado. Rostrum with Greek
key motif and tripartite panel above on north end wall with round arches, pilasters and
painted text. Flanking the panel two round arches at the ends of the side galleries give access
directly to the Sunday school. Benches with shaped ends and umbrella stands. SOURCE:
Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England, RCHME, [42], page 235.


Listing NGR: SP3246993380

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.