This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2827 / 51°16'57"N
Longitude: -2.9546 / 2°57'16"W
OS Eastings: 333519
OS Northings: 154159
OS Grid: ST335541
Mapcode National: GBR J7.ZHHP
Mapcode Global: VH7CY.Q1W0
Plus Code: 9C3V72MW+35
Entry Name: Church of St Christopher
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1262678
English Heritage Legacy ID: 434389
Location: Lympsham, Sedgemoor, Somerset, BS24
Civil Parish: Lympsham
Built-Up Area: Lympsham
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Three Saints
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST35SW LYMPSHAM CP CHURCH ROAD (East side)
5/74 Church of St Christopher
Parish Church. C15, much C19 restoration by Rev. A J Stephenson and his son J H Stephenson. Coursed and squared rubble,
slate and lead roofs, coped verges with cruciform finials. Perpendicular. Nave, chancel, North aisle, South chapel now
vestry, West tower. Four stage tower with set back buttresses, pinnacles, twin bell chamber windows, two tiers of
niches to West side, West door, West window; pierced and arcaded parapet. Further pierced parapet to North aisle and
South chapel, nave and chancel with 2-light windows. Panelled tower arch, small carved figure set on each corbel. Three
bay nave with a wagon roof of C19 springing from corbel carved as heads, probably Perpendicular; lower entrance to
rood. 4-bay North aisle of c1400, restored 1840; arcade with piers of 4 waves section; wall shafts on leaf corbels;
panelled lean-to roof, much restored niche to North wall in a gabled and crocketted surround; on East wall a C11 stone
Crucifix obviously reused; a piscina under a foil arch; remains of a squint. Much restored single bay chancel with an
early C19 turrel-vault plaster ceiling on corbels carved as heads, again probably Perpendicular. Numerous texts
stencilled in black letter around window openings, along walls and around arches. Painted Norman tub font again with a
text, Jacobean cover. C17 painted royal arms. Chandelier of 1744. Remainder of the furniture of the C19 including choir
stalls, pews, pulpit, lectern, altar rail, 2 chairs in a gothic style, large brass chandelier. C19 western gallery.
Fifteen C19 wall monuments, some in brass, those to Stephenson family in vestry in a particularly elaborate style;
further monument to The Fallen of the Great War. Much C19 stained glass; East window by O'Connor of 1863; 5 further
stained glass windows. C19 Western gallery. C19 painting of Christ. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West
Listing NGR: ST3351954168
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings