This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8962 / 50°53'46"N
Longitude: -3.7254 / 3°43'31"W
OS Eastings: 278754
OS Northings: 112160
OS Grid: SS787121
Mapcode National: GBR L6.RS1Q
Mapcode Global: FRA 362Q.Y5L
Entry Name: Church of St David
Listing Date: 26 August 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1262898
English Heritage Legacy ID: 433784
Location: Thelbridge, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Thelbridge
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Thelbridge St David
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
THELBRIDGE CHURCHYARD LANE
SS 71 SE
- Church of St David
Parish Church. Medieval origins, completely rebuilt by Packham and Croote 1872-5.
Chancel corner stone dated 1872 and tower buttress foundation stone inscribed Samuel
Rosegood, Rector; George Packham, Architect; and James Parish, Builder. Snecked,
rock-faced volcanic stone with veined voncanic ashlar detail to nave and chancel and
Bathstone detail to tower; slate roof. Nave with lower chancel, west tower, vestry
on north side of chancel, south porch. Gothic-style, a mixture of early Decorated,
Perpendicular and Tudor. West tower in 2 stages with low offset angle and embattled
parapet with Bathstone corner finials raised on volcanic pinnacles. 2 bold drip
courses, the upper course with large carved gargoyle heads on each corner. Large
arch-headed 2-light simple Decorated-style belfry windows on each side. North side
of tower has semi-octagonal stair turret with shoulder-headed external door which
contains original C19 door with ornate strap hinges. West side has volcanic ashlar
doorway and 2-centred arch with moulded surround and containing double doors with
ornate strap hinges. Above door is an arch-headed 2-light window similar to the
belfry windows. South side of tower has 2 trefoil-headed lancets to ground floor and
a round window with cusped tracery to ringing floor. South side of nave has 2
volcanic ashlar square-headed 3-light windows with trefoil heads, sunken spandrels
and hoodmoulds. Gable-ended south porch between windows has volcanic double-
chamfered 2 centred outer arch, shaped kneelers and plain coping surmounted by a
cross of Iona. Chancel is lower and narrower than nave, and ends of both nave and
chancel have shaped kneelers and coping surmounted by a plain Latin cross; some of
chancel coping replaced with C20 concrete. South side of chancel has 3 square-headed
single light windows, all with trefoil heads, sunken spandrels and hoodmoulds.
Chancel is lower and narrower than nave, and ends of both nave and chancel have
shaped kneelers and coping surmounted by a plain Latin cross; some of chancel coping
replaced with C20 concrete. South side of chancel has 3 square-headed single light
windows, all with trefoil heads, sunken spandrels and hoodmoulds. East end of
chancel has arch-headed 3-light Perpendicular-style window in which some of the
tracery may be reused C15 work. Gable-ended vestry at right angles on north side of
chancel and includes a 2-light square-headed window. North side of nave has two 3-
light windows in same style as those on south front.
Interior: Porch has ceiled and vaulted roof. South door is a 2-centred arch with
chamfered surround and contains a studded plank door with applied panelled
coverstrips, plain strap hinges with fleur-de-lys finials and an oak lock-case;
possibly heavily-restored original. Nave has plain ceiled vault and chancel has 3-
bay Gothick false hammer beam roof with arch-braced trusses and raking queen struts.
Plain chancel and tower arches. Timber gothic-style panelled screen across tower
arch includes range of windows with gothic-style glazing bars. Timber gothic-style
reredos has painted panels painted with sacred monograms and symbols of the Holy
Trinity and is flanked by boards containing painted texts on painted ribbons with
grapes or a wheat-sheath. Oak altar rail on wrought-iron supports featuring unusual
floral decoration in brackets. C19 organ on south side of chancel with small plaque
recording 'rebuilt by Geo.Oswald and Co. of Taunton'. Victorian stained glass in
chancel. Accounts describe gothic-style pulpit and pews as 'modern' in 1848 and
Norman-style Beerstone font is pre-1848. No monuments.
Sources: Devon C19 Church Project.
Listing NGR: SS7875412160
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings