This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9053 / 50°54'19"N
Longitude: -3.7195 / 3°43'10"W
OS Eastings: 279197
OS Northings: 113168
OS Grid: SS791131
Mapcode National: GBR L6.R7JW
Mapcode Global: FRA 363Q.0SX
Plus Code: 9C2RW74J+46
Entry Name: Thelbridge Hall
Listing Date: 4 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1262952
English Heritage Legacy ID: 433728
Location: Thelbridge, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
Civil Parish: Thelbridge
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Thelbridge St David
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 71 SE
- Thelbridge Hall
Large farmhouse, former rectory. Probably late medieval core, evidence of early C17
refurbishment, extensions and major refurbishment of 1852 for the Reverend R T
Bradstock. Plastered rubble and cob; rubble stacks topped with C19 brick; slate roof
since 1852. Large house comprising 2 parallel ranges facing south-west. The longer
4-room-and-cross-passage front range is adapted from C16 or C17 3-room-and-through-
passage plan house with former service end room (now a parlour) at right (south-east)
end. Rear block containing kitchen and services is C19 addition. Front block has
projecting end stack to left room and front lateral stack to room left of centre.
Possibly disused rear lateral stacks to other front rooms. 2 rear lateral stacks to
rear block. 2 storeys. Regular 6-window front including round-headed fixed pane
windows without glazing bars at right end and the rest are 12-pane sashes, some mid
C19, others later replacements with horns. Early C17 passage door right of centre; a
sturdy studded oak plank door with applied 15-panel front, ledges to rear, 2 large
bolts, hinges and catch, set in oak doorframe with ogee-moulded surround and scroll
stops. Probably C19 gabled and slate-roofed plastered rubble porch with segmental
outer arch. Gable-ended roof. Right (south-east) end has double-gabled elevation
with 16-pane sashes to each floor to front (left) and large tripartite sash window to
right. Rear elevation comprises an irregular disposition of 12-pane sashes.
Interior: largely result of 1852 refurbishment. 1852 stairs in wide passage. Only
former hall shows pre-1852 work. Ceiling now 3 bays with C17 crossbeams given
double-ovolo mouldings and elaborate keeled-lozenge stops. Other C17 features may be
hidden by C19 plaster in front block. Both blocks have 1852 roofs. A slate
flagstone in rear block is inscribed WYD 1852.
According to owners' researches Thelbridge Hall was a Domesday manor belonging to the
Bishop of Coutances. It is described as a rectory in terriers of 1679 and 1727.
Extensions and refurbishment of 1852 for the Reverend Rowland Thomas Bradstock, the
builder was John Mardon Baker of South Molton and original plans and elevations
deposited in Devon Record Office. It was a rectory until circa 1930.
Listing NGR: SS7919713168
Other nearby listed buildings