History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Monkton House with Attached Garden Walls

A Grade II* Listed Building in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.36 / 51°21'36"N

Longitude: -2.1687 / 2°10'7"W

OS Eastings: 388348

OS Northings: 162341

OS Grid: ST883623

Mapcode National: GBR 1S8.QHW

Mapcode Global: VH96X.C2BR

Entry Name: Monkton House with Attached Garden Walls

Listing Date: 13 November 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1262912

English Heritage Legacy ID: 433819

Location: Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire, SN12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Broughton Gifford

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Broughton Gifford

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Broughton Gifford

Listing Text

BROUGHTON GIFFORD MELKSHAM ROAD
ST 86 SE
(off south side)
4/78 Monkton House, with
attached garden walls
13.11.62
GV II*

Detached house. Late C16, range added to east early C17. Rubble
stone, stone slate roofs with coped verges, lateral and gable end
stone stacks. L-plan early range with stair turret in angle,
parallel range added to north east side. Two-storey and attic, 2-
window south front. Fine door to gable end of C17 range to right
with oval panel, carved Thynne family motto AY BONNE CAUSE and a
carved stag to centre, moulded stone architrave with pediment, 4-
light mullioned and transomed casement with king mullion and
relieving arch to left, 2-light mullioned casement to right. Two
attic gables with 3-light and single-light mullioned casements; all
hollow-chamfered, 1647 datestone to right gable end. Right return
of C17 range has lean-to porch to left with fixed windows and
casements ledged door within, two 2-light recessed hollow-chamfered
mullioned casements with hoodmoulds to right, three 2-light and one
single hollow-chamfered casement to first floor, two attic gables
with 2-light mullioned casements, large raking buttress to left.
To left of entrance front, the angle of the 'L' is filled with
gabled stair turret with 2-light and 3-light mullioned casements,
each arm of the 'L' has lateral gabled stack, 2-light mullioned
casements to left. Left return has French windows, 4-light and 2-
light mullioned casements. Rear of main range has 3-light
mullioned and transomed casement to right, 2-light and 3-light
mullioned casement with relieving arches to left, gable end of
north east range has continuous string courses, main range has two
attic gables.
Interior: C16 range retains many original features; deep
chamfered beams , wainscot panelling and good doors with moulded
ribs, ornamental hinges and decorated locks. Room to left of
entrance has early C18 full moulded panelling, 2 good doors with
eared architraves and pulvinated friezes and cornices. Good
stairs in angle of 'L', framed with square newels with ogee
finials and pendants, closed strings, moulded handrail and moulded
turned balusters, concealed behind boarding but exposed on attic
landing. Original collar and tie beam roof with queen struts.
First floor south west drawing room with wainscot panelling, good
doors with cock's head hinges, Tudor-arched stone fireplace with
consoles to cornice, possible garderobe. C17 wing has newel
stairs up to attics. First floor room has Tudor-arched stone
fireplace with 4 quatrefoils, strapwork cartouches and frieze with
fruit and cherubs, ceiling cornice. South east attic room has
unusual rib-vaulted plaster ceiling with thin moulded ribs and
small stone Tudor-arched fireplace. Acquired by Henry Long of
Whaddon in 1550s, Thomas Long sold the property to James Thynne of
Longleat in 1670. Attached to right of front are good rubble stone
walls with saddleback coping, round-arched doorway with ribbed door
in north east angle of wall, probably c.1600.
(VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 7, 1953; Countryside Treasures, 1969; N.
Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975).


Listing NGR: ST8835262344

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.