History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

6, 8 and 10, the Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Bramford, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0753 / 52°4'30"N

Longitude: 1.098 / 1°5'52"E

OS Eastings: 612398

OS Northings: 246407

OS Grid: TM123464

Mapcode National: GBR TMF.VSZ

Mapcode Global: VHLBR.Z3BF

Entry Name: 6, 8 and 10, the Street

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Last Amended: 24 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1262946

English Heritage Legacy ID: 433448

Location: Bramford, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP8

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Bramford

Built-Up Area: Bramford

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Bramford St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Claydon

Listing Text

BRAMFORD THE STREET
TM 1246
9/93 Nos. 6,8 and 10 (Formerly
listed as Nos 1, 2 and 3
Oak Cottages)
9.12.55
- II

Three houses, formerly The Bell Inn. A late-mediaeval H-plan open-hall house,
perhaps built in 2 or 3 stages. 2 storeys. Timber-framed and plastered; the
upper floors of both cross-wings are jettied towards the street. Plaintiled
roofs with axial and external chimneys of red brick. C19 small-pane
casements; the ground storey windows of both cross-wings have hinged boarded
shutters. Boarded entrance doors. The centre range (No.8) comprises a C15
open hall of 2 equal bays. The open truss has a cambered and hollow-chamfered
tie-beam and evidence for massive arch-bracing. Good quality close studwork;
a 6-light diamond mullioned window in the front wall. An unmoulded upper
floor was inserted in C16. The left-hand cross-wing has a pointed arched
doorway into the hall and may be of c.1400 or earlier. The right-hand cross-
wing has exposed tension-braced close-studwork and may have been added as a
parlour/solar wing in late C15 or early C16; the chimney between parlour and
hall is probably a C17 insertion. All roofs were renewed in C19.


Listing NGR: TM1239846407

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.