This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2983 / 51°17'53"N
Longitude: -3.01 / 3°0'35"W
OS Eastings: 329680
OS Northings: 155951
OS Grid: ST296559
Mapcode National: GBR J5.YFKZ
Mapcode Global: VH7CQ.SM3K
Plus Code: 9C3R7XXR+82
Entry Name: Church of St Bridget
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1262963
English Heritage Legacy ID: 433625
Location: Brean, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA8
Civil Parish: Brean
Built-Up Area: Brean
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST25NE BREAM CP CHURCH ROAD (East sidel
1/12 Church of St Bridget
Parish Church. Originating from C13, predominantly C15, much rebuilt cica 1882. Coursed and squared rubble, coped
verges, cruciform finials, slate roofs. Nave, chancel, South tower with entrance porch to ground floor. Perpendicular
features. Plain squat saddleback tower created when struck by lightening, stone plaque to West inscribed:- "John
Binchen Churchwarden 1729" commemorating the rebuild, plain semi-circular head door opening to South, C19 ribbed door,
in the porch a stoup; C13 inner door opening of 2 recessed orders. Three bay nave, 3-light windows, those to South with
cambered heads, window to centre of Worth wall with sole remaining original tracery; those to North with rere-arches.
C19 chancel of a single bay; of similar date the chancel arch flanked by 2 corbels carved as heads, of the late C14 to
hold the former lenten veil. Reused scalloped C15 piscina to chancel which is on encaustic tile floor; C19 stone
reredos, altar rail and stalls with poppey heads. Pulpit dated 1620; lectern carved as a bold eagle dated 1892; carved
C14/C15 octagonal font on a base with foiled niches; full set of C19 pews, the ends with plain thin poppy heads in
immitation of a C15 pew remaining under the tower. Tablet to Edmund Hicks of 1893 by Cox of Weston. Late C18 strong-box
under tower; 2 C19 chairs to chancel. C19 arched braced roofs to nave and chancel. Tower with 3 pre-reformation bells.
All windows with simple leaded lights and stained glass. Church established on site in C6 probably by Irish monks and
dedicated to the Celtic saint, St Brigit of Kildare. (Church Guide; N Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West
Listing NGR: ST2968055951
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.