History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

North Warehouse at Fisons Horticultural Division Works

A Grade II Listed Building in Bramford, Suffolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0893 / 52°5'21"N

Longitude: 1.1021 / 1°6'7"E

OS Eastings: 612615

OS Northings: 247975

OS Grid: TM126479

Mapcode National: GBR TM7.X2G

Mapcode Global: VHLBL.2R07

Entry Name: North Warehouse at Fisons Horticultural Division Works

Listing Date: 24 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1263014

English Heritage Legacy ID: 433435

Location: Bramford, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP8

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Bramford

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Bramford St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Claydon

Listing Text

BRAMFORD PAPERMILL LANE
TM 14 NW
7/80 North warehouse at Fisons
Horticultural Division
- Works.
- II
Warehouse, built as a factory for the manufacture of superphosphate
fertilizers. C.1858-60, for Joseph Fison; the 2 uppermost of the 4 storeys
were added in later C19. The main block is about 90 metres long, in about 24
bays, and spans about 25 metres. Attached to the east side at the south end
is a parallel contemporary range of similar span but only about 25 metres in
length. 4 storeys with a further floor within the roof space. Timber-framed
with horizontal weacherboarding, apart from the west elevation (adjacent to a
branch railway line), which is of tarred red brick up to 1st storey level for
most of its length, with arcading at bay intervals. The arches have scone
imposts and raised keystone; most are blind, with segmental-headed windows
beneath the head. Segmental roofs, bituminous-felt clad. Most of the
original windows in the timber-framed upper storeys are unaltered; in the side
walls are small-pane hopper windows in pairs, each pair filling the width of
one bay. In the gables are fixed small-pane sashes. The intermediate floors
are of heavy lateral timber beams on circular storey-height cast-iron columns.
On a site immediately to the south of this building the world's first complete
superphosphate factory was established by Edward Packard between 1851 and
1854. Joseph Fison set up in competition on this site in 1858 and the two
companies were amalgamated soon afterwards.


Listing NGR: TM1261547975

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.