History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mockbeggars Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Claydon, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0953 / 52°5'42"N

Longitude: 1.1098 / 1°6'35"E

OS Eastings: 613113

OS Northings: 248664

OS Grid: TM131486

Mapcode National: GBR TM7.RD6

Mapcode Global: VHLBL.6L2M

Entry Name: Mockbeggars Hall

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Last Amended: 24 January 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1263022

English Heritage Legacy ID: 433464

Location: Claydon, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Claydon

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Claydon and Barham St Mary and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Claydon

Listing Text

CLAYDON PAPER MILL LANE
TM 14 NW
7/109 Mockbeggars Hall
(Formerly listed as Old
9.12.55 Hall)
- II*
House, 1621 on gables. 3-window hall range with pair of slightly set-forward
cross-wings. 2 storeys and attics. Red brick; originally there was extensive
quoining and other plaster ornament to simulate limestone dressings, but this
is much decayed. At 1st floor level is a complex moulded band of brick, and
another of simpler form at the attic floor. Each cross-wing has a Dutch gable
with ball finials of limestone at both base and apex. The left-hand gable has
I over 16, and the right A over 21, in wrought iron - the initials are perhaps
for John Aylmer, the owner at about this date. Plaintiled roofs; on either
side wall and at the rear are massive chimneys of red brick, on each are 3
octagonal flues truncated just above the base. A central axial chimney of
similar form is a C19 intrusion. Mullioned and transomed windows of 10 lights
(8 lights at attic storey) were originally of plastered brick, but four were
renewed C19/C20 in limestone. Those at the upper floor have moulded
pediments. Iron casements with leaded lights throughout. Beside the entrance
is a pair of canted bays, the main windows being of 6 lights. A C19 print
shows both bays terminating in gablets, containing a pair of dormer windows to
light the attics. Fine central entrance porch, also truncated above 1st
storey. The moulded round-arched outer doorway has a pair of Doric columns on
square plinths, supporting a deep cornice. Above this is a remnant of a
raised plasterwork motif. The inner doorway has an elliptical head with
raised plasterwork quoining; on each voussoir is a raised flower or leaf
motif, and on each side is a pilaster. Yellow and blue colouring may be
original. The original entrance door has moulded framing and small sunk
panels, 3 central panels being of diamond form; the framing is covered in
large nail-heads. A small room has a richly-carved C17 overmantel which must
have been moved to this position c.1900; panelling in the Jacobean manner
with some Arc Nouveau details. Several original fireplaces on all floors have
moulded arched heads, also oak doorways with moulded jambs and plank doors. A
staircase tower at the rear has a full-height large but undecorated newel
stair.


Listing NGR: TM1311348664

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.