History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brympton, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9559 / 50°57'21"N

Longitude: -2.6762 / 2°40'34"W

OS Eastings: 352604

OS Northings: 117604

OS Grid: ST526176

Mapcode National: GBR MM.N1TN

Mapcode Global: FRA 568L.57J

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 19 April 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1263070

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263492

Location: Brympton, South Somerset, Somerset, BA21

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Brympton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Montacute

Listing Text

ST51NW BRYMPTON D'EVERCY CP
THORNE COFFIN
3/37 Church of St Andrew
19.4.61
GV II*
Anglican parish church. C14, partly restored 1891. Ham stone cut and squared, ashlar dressings: plain clay tiled roof
between stepped coped gables, with cross finial to east and simple bell turret with 2 bells to west. Single bay
chancel, 2-bay nave, with small north and south porches. Chamfered plinth, corner buttresses of differing height to
west end: east window and nave north and south windows are 2-light reticulated traceried, all with arched labels having
square stops to east and south and curl stops to north; C17 2-light north and south chancel windows, incised spandrils,
square stop label south side only: west window small 2-light rectangular tracery, plain label, probably the oldest;
above a 2-light flat headed chamfer mullioned window without label. South porch probably C19, with moulded pointed arch
with label under coped gable with cross finial, low 2-light window in east wall; nearby a stone chimney of C19, square
base, with offsets and octagonal top with moulded cap. North porch dated 1613; plain chamfered semi-circular outer arch
and pointed inner arch with early door, stone bench seats, C19 panelled roof. Interior not accessible, but noted were
octagonal pulpit, dated 1624, some C18 pews and a C18 font. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset,
1958).


Listing NGR: ST5260417604

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.