History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Whitchurch House

A Grade II Listed Building in Tavistock, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5384 / 50°32'18"N

Longitude: -4.1286 / 4°7'42"W

OS Eastings: 249260

OS Northings: 73125

OS Grid: SX492731

Mapcode National: GBR NX.HFC7

Mapcode Global: FRA 277M.WZH

Entry Name: Whitchurch House

Listing Date: 17 February 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1263130

English Heritage Legacy ID: 433142

Location: Tavistock, West Devon, Devon, PL19

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: Tavistock

Built-Up Area: Tavistock

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Whitchurch

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:-

TAVISTOCK

SX47SE WHITCHURCH
78- /2/10001
Whitchurch House

II

House. Early C19 remodelling and extension of an earlier C18 property, a former vicarage.
Roughly coursed slatestone, with slate hanging to principal south and west elevations; rag
slate roof hipped to front, with rendered and C19 brick stacks. Double-depth plan, with
service ranges to east flanking courtyard. 2 storeys. 4-window south front with 6/6-pane
sashes (later horned replacements to ground floor) and tripartite windows to left with 4:12:4
panes; all windows have simple bracketed wooden hoods; half-glazed door with fanlight set
in panelled reveals, with Tuscan porch to front. Similar fenestration to left-hand (west)
return, all with later horned sashes and two early C20 French windows. Both elevations have
deep wooden cornice, that to west with dentilled decoration. To the right (east) of the front
elevation is a lower 2-storey service range which has bracketed hoods over 2 first-floor sashes
and paired sashes to ground floor, all 6/6-pane. Similar sashes to rear and east elevations, the
ground floor fenestration to the latter altered by two mid C20 windows. The rear right
(north east) corner has a short length of rubble wall attached to a 2-storey outbuilding with
half-hipped roof and tall sash windows lighting first-floor room (a possible former
schoolroom). Interior: many original (early C19) features including panelled doors with brass
fittings, decorative and moulded plaster cornicing; chimney pieces and open-well stair with
fret-cut brackets, turned balusters, handrail ramped to later (c.1860s) newel with acorn finial,
set in central stairhall with coved cornice and lit by domed lantern; large service area to east
of house has simpler joinery with reused C18 panelled doors and service stair with stick
balusters. The property is shown as a vicarage on a 1784 map of Tavistock.


Listing NGR: SX4926073125

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.