This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.6854 / 54°41'7"N
Longitude: -1.2204 / 1°13'13"W
OS Eastings: 450355
OS Northings: 532544
OS Grid: NZ503325
Mapcode National: GBR MGX8.K5
Mapcode Global: WHD6F.7H3F
Plus Code: 9C6WMQPH+5R
Entry Name: Church of St Paul and Attached Area Wall Railings and Gates
Listing Date: 17 December 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1263354
English Heritage Legacy ID: 432553
Location: Burn Valley, Hartlepool, TS26
Electoral Ward/Division: Victoria
Built-Up Area: Hartlepool
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Hartlepool St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Durham
GRANGE ROAD (south side)
Church of St. Paul, and attached area wall, railings and gates.
Church, 1885/86, by C. Hodgson Fowler. Brick with stone dressings and Westmorland slate roofs. Early English style. Clerestoryed and aisled nave, north transept, chancel aisled to south side, and northwest tower.
North face of five-stage tower has double doors flanked by paired columns and entablature under brick triple roll-moulded lancet arch. All openings are lancet-arched. Two openings to second stage; one to fourth stage; blind three-bay arcade to each face of third stage; fifth stage has tripartite openings: outer two blocked. Balustraded parapet, angle turrets and pyramidal roof. Vice at southwest angle. Five-bay nave has two windows to each bay of clerestories and aisles, the former having continuous hoodmoulds. West rose window above tall tripartite lancet opening. Gable of transept has rose window over five grouped, blocked openings. Two-bay chancel has similar windows to nave. East window consists of five grouped and stepped lights under a single hoodmould.
Vestry and Lady Chapel to chancel aisle. Ridge lantern with spirelet, and two gabled roof dormers mark division between nave and chancel. Base of tower open to nave via end bay of north arcade. Arcades of two orders under continuous hoodmould, have compound piers of four round shafts. Barrel roofs to nave and chancel. Chancel arch of two orders with nook shafts. South aisle windows and east window contain good late C19 stained glass. Three bay sedilia with Frosterly marble shafts under lancet arches of three orders. Chancel and Lady Chapel each have carved oak reredos of c.1910. Carved stone octagonal drum pulpit on pedestal, with polychrome marble dressings. Octagonal drum font on short shafts, of polychrome marble and alabaster. Low brick area wall with chamfered stone copings and ornamental wrought iron railings and gates, to north, east and west sides of church.
Listing NGR: NZ5035532544
Other nearby listed buildings