This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6375 / 52°38'14"N
Longitude: -1.1057 / 1°6'20"W
OS Eastings: 460613
OS Northings: 304791
OS Grid: SK606047
Mapcode National: GBR FNJ.SD
Mapcode Global: WHDJB.ZYMX
Plus Code: 9C4WJVPV+XP
Entry Name: Former Police Station
Listing Date: 15 February 1994
Last Amended: 11 March 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1263368
English Heritage Legacy ID: 432495
Location: North Evington, Leicester, LE5
Electoral Ward/Division: North Evington
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: North Evington St Stephen
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23/04/2018
SK 60 SW
ASFORDBY STREET (west side)
No 72, Former Police Station
(Formerly listed as Police Station, ASFORDBY STREET, previously listed under ASFORDBY ROAD)
Former Police station, previously a police and fire station with two attached houses and a lamp room. 1899. Designed by Arthur Wakerley. Red brick with painted ashlar dressings and Westmorland slate roofs with two gable and two ridge stacks. Two storey. Ten window front, arranged 1:2:3:4.
Former police station to right has an off-centre doorway with six-panel door and plain fanlight within a moulded, round headed surround. To the right two, two-light cross mullion windows with glazing bar upper lights, between is a blind window with a carved coat of arms in the upper light. To the left a single cross mullion window with a doorway included in the right light with a six-panel door, this doorway lead to the original lamp room. All with moulded impost and cill bands and continuous entablature. Slightly projecting door surround continues above with broad panel, a sash with keystone and scrolled ashlar sides which breaks through the eaves to form an entablature and a small round headed gable. Either side a single sash and to the left a further sash, all with glazing bar upper lights.
Former sergeants house, projects slightly, with round headed doorway to the right with six-panel door and four-light fanlight, moulded round arched hood supported on brackets. To the left a large canted bay window with a central two-light cross mullion window, and single side lights, all with glazing bar upperlights. Above three sashes, with continuous cills, impost band and lintels. Above a large gable with ashlar bands and a central plaque inscribed 1899.
Former fireman's cottage has a doorway with a six-panel door and an ashlar lintel to the left a two-light cross mullion window with glazing bar upper lights and a lintel band. Above two sashes also with glazing bar upper lights. Former fire station projects very slightly, single storey plus attic. To left a large segment headed, moulded arch with four-light glazed doors, and to the right a doorway with double part glazed doors under a segmental arch with carved tympanum and moulded arch. Both these doors are flanked by short Doric pilasters and an entablature at impost level, above a further entablature topped by a banded gable with a central circular window in a moulded surround with keystone.
Listing NGR: SK6061304791
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings