History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Oswald

A Grade II Listed Building in Jesmond, Hartlepool

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.6939 / 54°41'38"N

Longitude: -1.2151 / 1°12'54"W

OS Eastings: 450685

OS Northings: 533490

OS Grid: NZ506334

Mapcode National: GBR MGY5.Q4

Mapcode Global: WHD6F.98LX

Entry Name: Church of St Oswald

Listing Date: 17 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1263431

English Heritage Legacy ID: 432342

Location: Hartlepool, TS24

County: Hartlepool

Electoral Ward/Division: Jesmond

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Hartlepool

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Hartlepool St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Hartlepool

Description

NZ 53 SW
4/47

HARTLEPOOL
BROUGHAM TERRACE
(north side)
Church of St. Oswald

II

Church, 1897-1904, by W.S. Hicks. Dressed, snecked limestone, with quoins;
Lakeland slate roof. Quasi-Perpendicular style. High clearstoried and
aisled nave and chancel, transepts, and west tower with north and south
porches. 4-stage tower has set-back buttresses; 2-centred window to west
face with reticulated tracery; louvred 2-centred belfry windows, each in
pointed opening under ogee-arched hoodmould with grotesque stops. Embattled
parapet has crocketed pinnacles at angles and to merlons. Flat-roofed
porches have straight parapets, diagonal buttresses, and 2-centred doorways
in 3 moulded planes, with blind rectilinear traceries in tympana.
Trefoil-headed ogee-arched niches above doorways hold figures of St.
Oswald. 4-bay nave and 3-bay chancel (5 bays and 2 bays internally) have
gabled buttresses between 2-centred clearstorey and east windows with
reticulated traceries and stopped hoodmould. Octagonal turrets mark
external division between nave and chancel. Straight parapet to nave,
embattled to chancel. Flat-roofed south transept. Buttressed aisles have
paired trefoil-headed lights in chamfered rectangular openings. Similar
3-light windows to south transept. Buttressed aisles have paired
trefoil-headed lights in chamfered rectangular openings. Similar 3-light
windows to south transept. Tall tower arch with quadruple chamfer. 5-bay
double-chamfered nave arcades have octagonal, round, and compound piers with
stiff-leaf and moulded capitals. Similar single arch to each side of
chancel, that to north side being full height of gabled transept containing
organ of 1928. Italian and French marble sanctuary and altar steps.
Enriched, pinnacled, carved oak reredos, by R. Hedley (Newcastle) has
figures of saints and Resurrected Christ in niches by J. Eadie Reid.
Carved oak rood beam with vine brattishing, groining, traceries, crucifix
and pendants, also by Hedley. Coupled rafter roof with iron collars. In
south transept (Lady Chapel): gilded, carved oak reredos with figures of
angels and oil paintings of Crucifixion; and wrought iron screen and gates
by J.R. Crimson (Gateshead). Chamfered octagonal drum font of pink
alabaster, on octagonal stone step; sides have crocketed ogee niches holding
figures of saints and angels; broad plinth carved and inscribed by R. Beall
(Newcastle). Enriched oak font cover, supported on 4 angle shafts, has
heavily carved and ornamented lofty turret, by R. Hedley. Stained glass to
east window and south transept by H.W. Bryams (London). Good stained glass
of 1918 and 1931, to south aisle.

Listing NGR: NZ5068533490

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.