History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Isle Brewers, Somerset

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9854 / 50°59'7"N

Longitude: -2.8997 / 2°53'58"W

OS Eastings: 336944

OS Northings: 121048

OS Grid: ST369210

Mapcode National: GBR M9.LC5M

Mapcode Global: FRA 46TH.VHX

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 17 April 1959

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1263514

English Heritage Legacy ID: 431822

Location: Isle Brewers, South Somerset, Somerset, TA3

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Isle Brewers

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Isle Brewers

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Isle Brewers

Listing Text

ST32SE ISLE BREWERS CP ISLE BREWERS VILLAGE

4/1 Church of All Saints

17.4.59

- II


Anglican parish church. 1861 by C.E. Giles. Coursed and squared lias with Ham stone dressings, banded plain tile roofs
with crested ridges to coped verges with cruciform finials. Nave, chancel south vestry, north tower larch. Plain 'High
Victorian" Early English style. Tower porch square on plan at base rising to octagonal bell-chamber supporting tiled
spire with wrought-iron finial; single-light bell opening to each face, a lancet with a quatrefoil to head, on ground
floor broad door opening to north, Shifted surround of 2 orders polychromatic voussoirs to arch over, of white lias
and Ham stone. Three bay nave, 2 bay chancel, lancet windows, some paired, some simple tracery to heads in the form of
cusping and quatrefoils, triple-light east window with plate tracery, libel with large carved floral stops. Inside
plastered on flagstone floors, encaustic tiles to chancel. Nave under simple scissor-beam roof, chance! under unceiled
wagon roof. Contemporary fittings including pews, choir stalls, altar rails, stone reredos with painted decoration,
pulpit and lectern. Norman tub font with cable banding, 2 Jacobean coffin stools and a C18 chest reused from an earlier
church that stood in the village. East window with sole stained glass of circa 1861. Wall monument of the First World
War. Very faded achievement set in porch. (Pevsnar, N., Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).


Listing NGR: ST3694421048

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.